1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Definition DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kop1973, Sep 10, 2005.

1. kop1973

kop1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Anyone know of a good multi region DVD player that can play DVD's at upscaled HD.???

And what kinda price should I be expecting to play!?

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    There are quite a few, but some don't give as good a pic as, say, the £99 Pioneer 575 (prog scan component) from Richer Sounds which is a tremendous player for an amazing price.

From what I've seen of the Samsungs the pic is too soft via DVI/HDMI. I have the Oppo (do a search on this forum) connected by DVI and that does out-gun the Pioneer but not by much, and the Oppo is dearer at just over £170 from ITSupplies.net (in the UK).

Upscaling DVD players aren't all they are cracked up to be, but if you can't resist the urge you won't go far wrong with the Oppo.

...PJ :)

3. plop90

plop90
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you go for an upscaling dvd player you should go for one with a Farouja upscaling chip. These are better than the others. The Samsung HD850 does not have a Farouja chip, whereas the HD950 does. That is the only difference I know of between the two (other than that the 950 is black and the 850 is silver). The Oppo also has a Farouja chip. I haven't seen the output from an Oppo (or a 950 for that matter) over HDMI. My HDMI dvd player has arrived, but I can't plug it into anything because my HDMI plasma hasn't yet. Doh!

- Nick

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I didn't know that. Must stress my view that the Samsungs have a soft pic is based on my experience of the Samsung 745, I haven't had first hand experience of the 850 or the 950. I have a hunch that the Oppo would out-perform them though...PJ :)

5. plop90

plop90
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah the 745 doesn't have a Farouja chip as far as I know, so it would have a crapper picture than the Oppo or the Samsung.

The daddy of budget upscaling players was the sadly departed Panasonic DVD-S97. It has now been discontinued (sadly before I started looking into this stuff). Noone seems to know why.

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The 745 got five star reviews etc when it was out. But then, when can you rely on those... ;) I would be willing to put money on me trying out the 950 though and finding the pic still too soft for my liking.

I wanted a DVI output hence the Oppo was the best choice for me. I'd love to have seen the Panasonic side-by-side with the Oppo to see which one was truly the "daddy"...PJ :)

7. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    This can be arranged

8. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Just because it has the faroudja chip dosent make it good. In fact if you have a plasma it may be wise to stay away from this chip due to the nasty MBE bug found on the 23XX faroudja chips (more the case if you have a panasonic model or a big screen projector)

I would of liked to see more players with the Sil504 chip which is better
    (but has no scaling engine)
    The pioneer 868 puts out a sharper more detailed picture than most via HDMI but it does suffer some cue. Used with a scaler like the DVDO HD+ then this suddenly becomes a killer combo.

I have also been playing with the Denon A1xv with the HQV chip and while its very imprssive its not worth the money. Its not that great. Very detailed pics mind, but not a huge leap over the pio and HD+ combo (which is cheaper)

I have been playing with the S97 for a while now as well and while its good and considering i paid £149 for it, There is better at a price. shame MBE lets it down a tad, such a nasty artifact to have crawling on the screen.
    If it did not have MBE and it could pass interlaced HDMI (thus bypassing the faroudja chip and thus no MBE) this would of been the biggest performing bargain ever.

Just about to buy the PIO 989 as thats supposed to have a few faults corrected now and it will pass HDMI via interlaced so is more future proofed, as you can add a nice up to date scaler and increase the ability of the DVD player.

My advice would be get a DVD player that can Pass interlaced via HDMI and at a later date add a scaler-deinterlacer. Thats how if your serious to get an awesome picture. (or get an SDI mod)

9. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    A combination of aggressive marketing (they always have a quick turnaround on their models) and their concentration on the DVD recorder market, certainly in Europe.

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Good summary Gandley

11. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The question is simple. Is the pic worth the money?

IMHO the Pioneer 575 was definitely worth the money. If it had cost £300 I would still be happy.

The Samsung 745 was worth £100 but no more in the context of the Pioneer picture quality.

The Oppo is worth £170 of anyone's money, again had it cost £300 I'd still keep it (though I'd like the case to be tarted up!).

Yes add a scaler, Im sure it will improve the pic. But at a cost. Me, until true HD arrives, I'm putting my credit card away - unless something goes t1t$ up...PJ :)

12. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    also depends on ones own personal mind set as to what makes a good picuture but price will always be the main issue.

Once we get 1080p (mid next year) i think a scaler-deinterlacer will be almost essential. I dont realy want a cheap upscaling dvd players trying to boost 480i rez all the way up to 1080i or even "P". They struggle with 720p let alone anything else (but you only realy notice this if you get a chance to see a scaler/deinterlacer in action. Dam what a difference it makes.)

I guess what i was saying in last post is if you have a reasonable dvd player already, spend the extra ££s on a DVDo HD+ or lumagen unit this will give a much better boost in pic quality then buying an upconverting dvd player(as has been said HDMI does not always = quality) and everything else gets to benefit from the better processing/scaling as well.

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I feel the Faroudja chip is one of the weakest scalers around, hence I am not a fan of upscalers who almost always use this chip. Re deinterlacing I am a film buff so I like the 504. I am another one who recommends a good video processor like the Lumagens which for me can offer so much more if you have a good DVD player already, which many of us do. It will lead to better quality ultimately.

14. kop1973

kop1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok without sounding thick!!

What is one of these and what sorta money are we taking about?
    I have a HD ready 42" Plasma screen and a LCD 32" TV...

15. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Not at all
    Sky's the limit really
    DVDO kit (of which i own) is the at really the budget end of the scaler world, although they (like some others) are pseudo-modular so you can bolt the odd interface on etc. These start at about £800+ for a sit-up-and-beg older model. Other (quite) common players in this field for more money are Lumagen, Crystalio and Cinemateq. All have their own merits and quirks. A good old read up on the Scalers forum should give you some idea.

16. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I am sure you realised it but the bedrock of any scaler is the food you feed it. I have been witness to scalers doing a pretty good job of "hiding" nasties that originate from the source, but that is not their real purpose and if you wish the device to remain as transparent as possible, give it something decent to work with.

17. chaddy

chaddy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    what about the new LG at comet, i'm ready to buy one but would want a dvd player that had vga as well as hdmi !
    the lg also plays those windows media discs.
    seen on on ebay called neo nuvo or somthing like that also the samsung.

18. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If Faroudja aren't the best, why do Denon use them so widely?

Ive also seen many expensive projectors fitted with DCDi internal scalers.

19. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Simple, cost is one thing and the fact it also offers a scaling engine (so for upscaling dvd players its a one stop solution) where as sil504 does not scale so you would have to license or create additional tech.
    + also the faroudja chipset added chroma filters to mask the chroma bug, which realy would effect the denon units had there not been a filter

DCDI is only usefull for video not film so is good to have on a PJ.(i could be wrong on that but that is what i have read, so dont bind me to that quote)

The deinterlacing is good but the chips as has been widely reported have a serious flaw or bug ie MBE (macroblock enhance), that was not picked up on until after many companys had bought inventory.

I think some companys are now moving away from Faroudja who are said to be updating the processing so MBE is no longer an issue.

But when you do see MBE its just plain awfull, it realy is bad. Denon etc have manage to tame it but not eliminate the artifact. Its is also display dependant so there will be varible degrees of MBE from one display to another but one thing for sure this was a bit of a cock-up on faroudja`s part

the best is now Genum, HQV, etc.

20. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Around 10 hours and counting of watching the Oppo play DVD's on an 83" HiDef projector and I've yet to see anything that can be described as awful, unless you count some of the acting...PJ ;)

21. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't forget the Momitsu players, network ready version V880n, is very impressive over component and DVI. Would like to try an oppo v momitsu and see what the difference is like (although the ability to stream over LAN with the v880n is a big plus point for me)

Gary

22. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    All I care about is the PQ, and I can tell you that I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the Oppo. Extremely competent player, you get the feeling they've spent money where it matters rather than fancy brushed aluminium fascias.

Not perfect by any means, but for £171 it's a decent machine...PJ :)

23. av addict

av addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
  24. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    but it is a Denon

25. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    and still uses the bugged faroudja chip. What gives?
    Are they using sil504 or DCDI? Sil504 does not scale but has excellent deinterlacing.

In the HCC articule it has the silicon image stuff doing the scaling???? :confused:

26. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    mmmm, nowhere else is a silicon image chipset mentioned so i guess that was a HCC balls up

27. daverob

daverob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Been reading through these threads,but don't know what an "Oppo" is? Please help.

28. plop90

plop90
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oppo is a brand. "An Oppo" as referred in this forum is their upscaling DVD Player. See http://www.extremephono.com/Oppo_DV971.htm for more details. I don't own one, but the people that do seem very happy with it.

29. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269