High definition audio format i( Blu-Ray and current speakers

P

pitxi

Hello, I have read recently in a magazine a comparative between some speakers, but there was something that caught my attention. In the review of one model (Tannoy Sensis 1) it was said "Ready for high definition digital formats, the current ones and the forthcoming" I suppose refering to Blu Ray and HD-DVD. So, my question is: won't current speakers work with audio formats of Blue Ray and HD-DVD? If so, what features do speakers have to have to be compatible with those audio formats?
Thank you.

It reminds me of when CD's were first introduced, several speakers were described as being as digitally ready. It made no sense two decades ago and it wont make any difference for Blu-ray etc

Personally all this Hi-Def stuff is just a repeat ofwhat happened decades ago with cd's and 10 years ago with dvd's.

Its, by majority marketing driven and appeals very much so to the average consumer. Speakers reproduce music on a band of frequencies and Hi-Def audio wouldn't necessarily require "special speakers". Hi-Def audio wouldn't carry any specific additional information than current cd formats.

However what it would give is a higher bitrate when recorded with the potential to carry better quality audio and better dynamics and seperation. But if this is anything to go by with current digital recordings i'm not sure how good it actually will be. Tonnes of artists these days record poor cd's, especially modern rock and indie! They pitch for the average consumer with normal hi-fi equipment. Digital recordings you can tell. Give me a good analogue recording anyday!

A little controversial i guess but thats my oppinion! :)

I forgot to add,

For this true HD audio format you've got to reply on the artist recording and mastering specifically for that format for true benefits. Also you've also got to reply on people selling in hd audio format discs. Artists hardly even release on dvd-audio format and thats been around for a while now. And even then digital recording aren't too hot to be really honest. Theres too much compression and restriction on matering (esp. heavily) with digital music. And true dvd-audio or HD-audio has to be recorded at the bitrate or higher of the disc capability itself; because transcoding absolutly sucks and has no benefit at all.

Then just remeber, in this day and age no dvd player can beat a dedicated high-end cd player for audio playback. It will take a while for all this marketing driven HD stuff to mature and for companies to start phasing out dvd's and cd's, do you think that will happen anytime soon, 2 of the biggest most volatile media markets in the world. HD is good for TV transmission though, i'd welcome that but its going to cost a lot to start with and limited to 6 sky channels at least.

I think the "Ready for high definition digital formats" refers to the fact that some of these formats contain information recorded at frequencies of more than 20KHz. However, the human audible range is generally between about 20Hz and 16KHz (and the top end declines with age...!). Therefore it's not unusual to see speakers capable of reproducing frequencies up to and beyond 30KHz. Apparently it helps with the creation of a realistic sound-stage, as higher frequencies are more "directional" than lower ones, but it's not what I've heard!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom