1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Defenition On A Pc Monitor Help?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by gbmitie, Oct 15, 2004.

1. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I have just found out about the forthcoming HD revolution but rather than wait for Sky what I do I basically need to get pure HD on my PC? Does it matter that I am using a CRT as opposed to a flat panel? It is a new PC with XP pro and a CRT 17" monitor. I have a motorised dish so can get 42e to 30w.

I would like to be able to use a CI slot as well.

What do I need that is a) not too complex, b) future proof, dont want to go the cheap route and then find out I am missing out.

At the moment I dont know what type of PCI card is actually HD capable.

In short I am lost

Any help much appreciated.

gbmitie

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    The PCI tuner cards normally don't do the hard MPEG decode work - the CPU and video card do.
    I can receive all 4 current HD transmissions using either of the 2 tuner cards in my PC (Broadlogic 2030 and Twinhan VP1020).
    I had to upgrade from a 2GHz to a 3 GHz P4 (Northwood) CPU to get sufficient hoprsepower to receive HDTV without stuttering.
    In my case the Ravisent s/ware codec for my ATI Radeon 8500LE AGP video card work better (faster) than the Elecard video codec because the Ravisent codec employs some hardware assistance specific to circuits on my Radeon card.
    Some tuner cards do actually have hardware MPEG decoding but they may not all be able to handle HDTV bitrates (15 Mbps upwards).
    A couple of cards are available with a CI slot (1 of the Skystars and 1 of the Twinhans).
    Surf around other threads in this section of the forums and you'll pick up more information.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

3. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Many thanks Chris, now I have a base to work from and will do a bit more reading. By accident I have a 3.0ghz P4 and an Ati Radeon 9800 pro so that will help.

gbmitie