High Def Storage

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by lurcher, Dec 18, 2006.

1. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    At the moment I am keeping the HD footage safe on the DV tapes for when Standalone HD DVD Recorders become widely available.
    I have been considering the purchase of a HDD Media Player ( approx 300 GB ) to store & replay training material in classroom.

I know there are HD versions of these available with Component/DVI out and was thinking that this might be useful to transfer the HD footage that I have shot on the HC1E and replay to HD screen.

What I would like to confirm is ,
    Could I transfer direct from the HC1 to such a device ( they have USB in ) without connecting to a PC ?
    Or do I need to connect to PC and capture specifying the attached media player as the destination ?

TIA

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I don't think so. You can't copy video from tape to a computer via the USB (this is specifically documented in the manual), so I doubt you could to another device.

3. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Thanks Mark I suspected as much , so its capture via firewire to PC and store on Media Player.
    Spose its a more efficient way to view on HD display than from HC1 or do you think otherwise ?.

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    It seems a good idea - will it play the native HDV files?
    It would be a lot more convienent then playing from the HC1, and also save some wear and tear on the camcorder.

5. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Mark,
    According to the web site http://www.tvix.co.uk/ the HD media players I have been looking at 5000u/4000P state that they can replay footage taken with HD Camcorders.
    Would I need to install some particular software on my computer to achieve this . Not particularly bothered about editing at this stage just capture.

6. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
  7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Interesting. The 4000P says it supports HDV (didn't see that on the 5000U), so you should be able to simply copy a .m2t file from your PC. And it shouldn't matter if it is raw footage or edited (as long as the edited is saved back out to HDV .m2t format, or other formats that the box accepts).

8. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Be careful, some media players support m2t files but only up to 20 mb/s. The files from the HC1 can be up to 25 mb/s or even 26 mb/s.

If possible, download the online manuals to check the techinal specs before you purchase.

From my experience, not many media boxes support m2t and therefore require the files to be converted to mpeg or mpg for replay.