1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High def production company in UK?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by LiquidB, Dec 20, 2004.

1. LiquidB

LiquidB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hello

I'm looking for a company that per today has the knowledge of recoring an HD signal (1080p camera), can make a transport stream out of it (ATSC standard) and can process the video also to make and SD DVD with menu's etc on it.

Any studio or producer please send me a message with your website or anybodu who knows post it here.

Actually, it may be anywhere in Europe.

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Try numerous post production houses in Soho London .
    Try Arri in Germany.

3. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Not so sure about the transport stream bit as this is presumably specific for US broadcast (if it is an ATSC compatible MPEG2 TS you are after) - and not something you'd expect a post production house to deliver. They'd be geared up to delivering on HDCam, HD D5, DVC Pro HD etc. Downconverting HD material on any of these VT formats to SD for DVD mastering is something they'd be expected to do though - as many DVDs are mastered from HD tape masters these days I believe.

As for cameras - some HDCam camcorders can shoot 1080/24p/25p/30p/50i and 60i I believe (the major benefit of a common 1920x1080 image standard for all frame/field rates!)

I know Optex will hire HDCam camcorders (though check that the specific model handles the frame rates you want - if you are after ATSC compatibilityI guess this will be 24p/30p or 60i?) and that the quality of HDCam is good enough (it subsamples to 1440 from 1920 horizontally) Otherwise you will need a camera and separate HD D5 VTR to record - or a newer HDCam SR system?

Visions OB facilities are HD capable, as are Telegenic and the BBC (though I don't know that the Beeb are geared to run their OB truck at 24p/25p or 60i as it is a converted 576/50i unit) Alfacam in Belgium are one of the largest HD facilities providers - they run from full multi-camera OB trucks (Thomson/Philips LDK 6000s) to single camera HD trucks I believe.

Quite a number of Soho Post Production houses (again as well as the BBC in London and Bristol) are HD-post capable, and should be able to edit HD and master DVDs.

(BBC Resources are a commercial operation - you don't have to be working on a BBC production to book them)

The only odd request is the ATSC coding AFAIK - not sure why any European production house (or US post house for that matter) would want to create a TS. This is surely a function of an MPEG2 encoder used for transmission by a broadcaster - and is part of the broadcast rather than production process?

4. digitalsafari

digitalsafari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Hi All,

We have full HD post production suite and extensive HD production experience working with major broadcasters, music artists, feature films as well as corporate.

Recently we did the HD background plates transfer from HD-D5 for Miramax's "Derailed".

Give me a call on 01752 704 891.

Jonathan

5. LiquidB

LiquidB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanx guys. There's indeed a lot going on in Soho.
    I have enough info for now.