High Def Plasma - Newbie needs advice!

M

mar111111

Hi,

I want to buy a plasma with high definition but I'm being told this is waste of time (by the chap in the shop) as even the so called high-definition compatiable plasmas will need to be upgraded when high-def is finally out.

This, as he tells me, is due to the fact the plasma screen CAN show the high def picture but the TV TUNER that comes with it CANNOT.

So my question is
1) Is this the case or am I being sold a lie ?
2) Do most decent plasmas have the TV tuner integrated ?

Thanks for your help, I'm new at all this and I'm hoping you guys can help.

:lease:

the only source of HD material for some time to come is going to be
1. via a Sky HD box around the end of the year
2. HD-DVD and Blue Ray DVD boxes, probably next year
3. Or a PC now

All these are external devices, so the internal tuner in the plasma is a bit irrelevant to HD. But useful for normal terrestial broadcasts and DTT.

The main challenge at present is that few Plasma panels are capable of proper HD resolution of 1280x720 or above, or have the HDMI or DVI inputs that support HDCP (content protection) that is going to be required by Sky and the DVD players.

Look for the new "HD Ready" logo. This should ensure that the screen will work with whatever Sky comes up with and the next-gen DVD formats without any upgrades.

Don't be fobbed off by a salesman saying that you don't need a HD Ready set if you think that there is any likelihood that you'll want to watch a HD source during the life of the set.

Most plasmas sold on the high street will have a normal analogue TV tuner built in that will become redundant anyway when the analogue signal is turned off in 2012. Some will also have an extra built in tuner for Digital Terrestrial (DTT) services like Freeview.

In both cases this is strictly standard def as pointed out by the sales person, however the internal tuner in the screen is irrelevant. High Definition Terrestrial broadcasts won't happen for at least ten years (if ever!). If any such service was to start in the future then suitable set top boxes would become available at that time.

The only way to get HD telly anytime soon is going to be with one of Mr.Murdock's little boxes and the best way to ensure that the plasma will work with this box is to make sure it has the "HD Ready" logo.

The sales-person probably isn't "selling a lie" but it does sound like he might be bending the truth a little to try and point you towards last years stock that he needs to get rid of before a barrage of new HD ready models hit the shops in the next few months !

loz said:
the only source of HD material for some time to come is going to be
1. via a Sky HD box around the end of the year
2. HD-DVD and Blue Ray DVD boxes, probably next year
3. Or a PC now

All these are external devices, so the internal tuner in the plasma is a bit irrelevant to HD. But useful for normal terrestial broadcasts and DTT.

The main challenge at present is that few Plasma panels are capable of proper HD resolution of 1280x720 or above, or have the HDMI or DVI inputs that support HDCP (content protection) that is going to be required by Sky and the DVD players.

Don't forget the 1080 sat box, and channel

I am looking at the LG 42PY10. It is supposed to be Hi-def compatible according to the store selling it. It has a resolution of 1024 x 1024 and DVI connection. I was told in another shop that it is not compatible because it does not have the 720/1080 resolution. They told me I need an LCD because it is 1368 resolution. Can anyone shed some impartial light on this. If the screen adjusts for the resolution difference of HD will I notice it at all.

richiecas said:
I was told in another shop that it is not compatible because it does not have the 720/1080 resolution.
They told me I need an LCD because it is 1368 resolution.
I should go and find a better shop if you want advice from them. This is the sort of thing that gives retailers a bad name. They will say anything to get your money, even if it's untrue. The facts are that an HD ready display must have:

1. Native resolution of at least 720 lines.
2. DVI or HDMI input able to accept above.
3. High Definition Content Protection (HDCP) support.

It doesn't have to have 1080 lines (though that would be nice), and it certainly doesn't have to be an LCD - you can have HD plasmas, too.

Does this mean that it has to have a minimum of 720 lines in 1 direction rather than both?
This is annoying as the guy who said the LG doesn't work is considered 1 of the best AV stores in the area but sells panasonic and phillips and is trying to push me towards philips. You're right it does annoy the hell out of me.

720 vertical lines minimum.

Just because the tuner doesn't use hi-def has nothing to do with whether the display is HD capable. I'd go somewhere else or at least tell them they're wrong ;)

pinkprobegt said:
720 vertical lines minimum.

No, 720 horizontal lines.

The number of horizontal and vertical rows of pixels certainly does not have to be the same. It makes sense if they are in the 16:9 ratio, and most are close, like 1280x720, 1366x768 or 1920x1080, so the pixels are square.

But yes, the capability of the built-in tuner has no bearing on the HD readiness of the display. Presumably we will get HD capable integrated digital terrestrial tuners, but that may be some way off, unless someone knows different...........

oops ;) sorry i was thinking of the vertical resolution.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom