High def pictures using a PC

andrewf

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok I have tried my best searching the forum, but getting myself stuck. Know my Home Cinema stuff but (REALLY REALLY) haven't a clue when it comes to PC's. I dont own a PC and want to get one. It will sit under my Phillips 9830 and I'd like it to play high def pictures along with all the other standard PC features.

I dont know if I am suppposed to be getting a Media PC / HTPC or just a regular PC.

I don't want to just wander into PC World or something and get stung asking my questions, but I really dont know what I need.

I dont have shed loads of cash after buying the LCD and the one thing I do seem to have gathered is that Media PCs are expensive, so perhaps I just need a good regular PC.

I have Sky+ already and am considering a DVD recorder.

Cheers

hi def is going to be something of a minefield at first, because of this there are advantages to a pc instead of your dvd recorder, you can make up a system to record to hard drive in pc much like your sky+, and use a dvd drive to burn any backups or copies

another plus is that unlike a stand-alone dvd player or recorder, you can upgrade hardware and software independantly of each other, and if something should die, it's far easier to just replace that one thing more of the time

with the advent of hi def you would almost certainly need to replace the motherboard and other bits and bobs like obviously the dvd drive

i have read that hd-dvd and blu-ray will both be readable by an existing dvd drive, but that the picture will be compressed when compared to the same disc in a hi def drive...but i'm not sure of the accuracy of this - if true, you could buy the hd-dvd/blu-ray discs and hardware in any order that suits you...one thing i really like about this new format war is that we all still win as our existing dvds and cds will still work in our new gear

if it was me, i'd get a not too pricey startup system (diy or shop bought) and think of it as a gradual evolution process, there are many components that should be upgrade-proof however, such as decent (quiet) power supply, good quality or fancy connectors - i've got these real nice looking braided ide cables - should be okay for years and years

also a good case with room to grow is a fair investment

i also have, and love the zalman cooler here... http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...alman_121.html

*and as far as i can tell you, you don't need a media pc at all, they're just more fancy to look at and simpler to use (but not by much i daresay)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom