1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

high def dvd query

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Talisman, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Talisman

Talisman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I read with interest that a web site is advertising high def dvd's such as with a few titles available such as:
    House of Flying Daggers, Hero etc

however it also states :

All our High Definition DVD titles will ONLY be played by our HDV108 and HVD208/2081 HD DVD Players.

My question is do any of you knowledgeable people know if the HD DVD's available at this site are capable of being played on a HTPC?

2. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    It sounds like they're WMV-HD files? If so a few sites sell them, I've got a couple. They are high-def resolution but the bit rate isn't what you'd get from true HD-DVD when it's released as far as I can work out.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I wonder if that is the Chinese answer to HD-DVD and Blu-ray which was born out of a desire to say "screw you western based greedy global corporations" by the Chinese manufacturers. The catalogue for that sort of machine would be huge for the far east market but very limited for a western audience since no US studio will support it with only the Chinese backed or co-produced movies such as "Flying Daggers" making an appearence.

A link to the site may have been useful unless it's full of pirated US movies for the format:)

4. Talisman

Talisman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I note there is no apparent information on that site regarding the actual format of the "High Definition DVDs".

As far as I'm aware, these players support the chinese HDV format (see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/08/hd_and_hdtv_analysis/page6.html).

I've not seen output myself but someone who has informs me that these players do an amazing job of upscaling SD DVD to 1080i or p. Would be interested in seeing it myself.

The chances of these HDV dics playing on an HTPC are slim I'd imagine.

Peter