High Def camcorder before march.

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by mickeyb01, Jan 5, 2007.

1. mickeyb01

mickeyb01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    As the title says im looking to buy a high def camcorder before our first baby is born around march 12th.I only have a budget of £600-700 max.
    My current options are the sony hc3 or i believe canon do one also?
    Are there any other hd cameras coming out soon within this price range,or are the prices likely to drop before march.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    In that price range it's just the HC3.
    The Canon HV10 is just out of the range (the cheapest price I've seen is around £760).
    There is also the AVCHD Sony SR1, but that is £800+.
    These are UK web prices, you may do cheaper importing from places like Hong Kong.
    Panasonic is coming out with 2 new AVCHD cams, not sure exactly when or what the price will be.
    I don't expect any signficant price changes between now and March.

3. alpine101

alpine101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    If you're happy with 720p HD, then buy a Sanyo HD1A and an additional 4GB SD card. Well within your budget. 4GB will give you an hour in HD-SHQ mode . And you can buy a baby bouncer with the rest!

4. mmace

mmace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I'm in the same boat, mine's due 3 days before yours, I knew I wanted HD though as I already have everything else in HD at home.
    I had the same budget and went for the HC3 the week before Christmas, used it over the Christmas period to get used to it and did some editing with it too.

I think it's a really good camcorder, although I don't feel the indoor quality is as good as some people say (with lights on and curtains open during the day!) so I bought a cheap sony 3W light for the top that has made a hell of a lot of difference! (and the light is tiny but never saw any photos of it on a camera so didn't know what size to expect!)

5. mickeyb01

mickeyb01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks for swift responses.As i have a 42" 1080p tv i think im better of going for the sony hc3 as it records in 1080i.Am i right in thinking that the Sanyo HD1A 720p recording will look inferior to 1080i on my screen?
    The next thing is finding the cheapest place to buy one,any recommendations are appreciated.

6. mmace

mmace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    the Sanyo will look bad on anyone's screen, it's an awful camera (in my opinion), saw it reviewed on the Gadget Show and they showed some video (obviously reduced to SD for broadcast) and it was horrible

I bought mine from Amazon for £699 (still that price now)
    purely gadgets have them cheaper but I had problems with them and refuse to use them or recommend them now though

you will see them cheaper, especially if you use Froogle but most are from Hong Kong and require you to pay import and then claim it back later

7. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Walk past the Sanyo... very quickly:eek: Im sure it has many happy owners. .. still I would give it a miss . Maybe I saw a poor model but I was quite disappointed with it .For the same money, (or less) very well sorted SD MiniDv models abound

Sonys HC3 and Canon HV 10 (if you can stretch to it) are perhaps the only 2 contenders apart from the AVCHD models which cost a bit more and currently have no editing or portable playback format. Even if you wanted to playback on a laptop/PC it would have to be a very speedy one

For now, HDV can be down converted to SD for normal DVD s with great results to share the video with grandparents Godparents etc

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I forgot about the Sanyo. I also don't think it is in the same league as the HC1 or HV10, but it is an option.

9. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    oh dear i have a cam on order from purely gadgets what problems did you have with them,what about other forum members.

10. mmace

mmace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I went into detail in another post about mid december, is a personal thing with me, if someone anoys me then I won't use them, others have had the same experience, some have been fine

EDIT:
    here's the thread
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439152

11. Paulie-W

Paulie-W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +493
    Not too sure how relevent this is, but i just got a £100 off SkyHD voucher for the sony HD Handycam. Obviously it`s a sony centre job and have no idea on prices etc, but if anyone wants it, send me a pm and i`ll post it off to you.