• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

High cost of hdd

dspit1664

Established Member
I read many an article about the impact of the rains and flooding in Thailand and how its had a neg impact on the components prices of hdd manufacturers. From what i can make out sellers may be stock piling hw and hiking up prices artificially. When might we see the price of hdd's go back to their usual price pre Thai flooding or are the current prices now here to stay?

nunovi

Established Member
My opinion is that prices will remain high compared to pre-flooding but should come down slightly in the next months. People are simply not buying at these prices. Scan is already including drives on the Today Only page meaning they're not selling at those silly prices. Vote with your wallet, don't buy drives at the current prices and they'll come down. Having said I don't believe we'll have a £55 2tb hard drive anytime soon.

Dazo

Established Member
To be fair to Scan they have had HDD's on their today only section for as long as I can remember going back many years.

dspit1664

Established Member
So
1. The price of NAS Chassis' (QNAP but not just) are stable or have they gone up as well?
2. Best either use 2nd hand hdd's or perhaps buy 1 now to get me going, as I don't have any 2TB HDD's at all at the moment?
3. Scan web site I presume you mean Computer Hardware - Scan.co.uk

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
qnap prices have gone up a bit in the last month or so but by only a few pounds, probably shipping cost increases due to fuel prices

djdhrubs

Banned
Can anyone clarify something for me? I'm looking for a 3TB caviar green western digital internal hard drive to slot into my soon to arrive server. I know, I know, I picked a good time to look for hard drives...!

I was googling around and came across the following website. specifcally this page:-

Central Computers (Midlands) Ltd Online Catalogue, Internal,Seagate,Western Digital,Hitachi,HP,Toshiba,LM Technologies,IBM,Magnetic Data Technologies,Samsung,Hypertec,StarTech.com,Iomega

Can anyone explain to me the difference between the 1st, 3rd, and 4th hard drives on this list? The 1st one on the list was priced at £95 yesterday afternoon, but has now jumped to £203.36.

themediaman

Established Member
Can anyone clarify something for me? I'm looking for a 3TB caviar green western digital internal hard drive to slot into my soon to arrive server. I know, I know, I picked a good time to look for hard drives...!

I was googling around and came across the following website. specifcally this page:-

Central Computers (Midlands) Ltd Online Catalogue, Internal,Seagate,Western Digital,Hitachi,HP,Toshiba,LM Technologies,IBM,Magnetic Data Technologies,Samsung,Hypertec,StarTech.com,Iomega

Can anyone explain to me the difference between the 1st, 3rd, and 4th hard drives on this list? The 1st one on the list was priced at £95 yesterday afternoon, but has now jumped to £203.36.

The 203.36 is actually the 7th on the list, unless I am misunderstanding you....

The only other 3TB drive there is at the bottom, for a wallet destroying 280.19......

djdhrubs

Banned
For some reason the link I provided doesn't go to the page I was looking at. If u search for western digital 3tb internal hard drives there is a list of 4. Three of these seem almost identical in their description.

themediaman

Established Member
Almost, there are 300Mb/s and 600Mb/s drives, and then theres the green version, which is eco friendly, low power etc...........

I would go for the cheapest one.............

themediaman

Established Member
1. 600Mb/s transfer speed, so faster, also has 3 year warranty............and some special features like Intelli Power, Advanced Format

2. 300Mb/s transfer, 64MB buffer, standard drive

3. 300Mb/s, green model, so eco friendly features - Intelli Power, S.M.A.R.T, 3 year warranty...

So there are differences, I couldn't comment on the significance of them though.

Number 2 would satisfy my needs though.........

As you know HDD prices are up and down randomly at the minute, which is unavoidable unfortunately..........

theronkinator

Established Member
Sata 3 or Sata 600 or whatever you want to call it makes no difference with hard drives and it is solely a marketing 'scam' to get people to buy them.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom