High contrast with "capable" projector, is it just me?

David Mackenzie

Ex Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a projection screen now, for use with my Sony VPL-VW60 (Black Pearl). The screen will be about 130" in 16:9 ratio. I run the projector in Lamp saving mode which dims it slightly, and with the Auto iris.

Of all the fabric samples Da-lite sent me, High Contrast Cinema Vision and High Contrast Matt White have been my favourites. The blacks they give on an all-black screen are basically identical to that of the matt white fabrics, but during the tricky scenes that have both dark and light on-screen, they enhance the perceived black level at the price of dimming the picture a little.

Now I get the idea that since the VW60 is a highly regarded projector, everyone thinks I'm mad for wanting to use a High Contrast fabric. At the end of the day, what I see is what I see and I much prefer the look of the HC fabrics, but I'd be curious to know if anyone else is doing the same with other new projectors or if the other HC users are people with older equipment.

BTW, in my room, ambient light is totally controllable, but the walls aren't black, if that affects what I see.

Grey screens (especially those with gain) help subdue ambient light and cross reflections in no optimal rooms, so that could be what you're seeing.

Gary

Grey screens (especially those with gain) help subdue ambient light and cross reflections in no optimal rooms, so that could be what you're seeing.

Gary

I'm still really confused as to whether to go for a high contrast screen as well. I have very light coloured wallsin the room so the projector lifts the subjective ambient light considerably. But I don't fancy a screen with gain as those I've seen have either had hot spots or kind of shimmered if you know what I mean.......:confused:

If you're using 1.3 or less gain with an angular reflective screen then hotspotting isn't usually visible, but going higher with that kind of screen can make it become more visible. Retroreflective screens don't hotspot, but you have to be seated with your head near the projected beam to get the benefitis of the gain.

The older Firehawk can have some visible sparklies and the Grewolf especially so. I haven't seen the Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision screen but it's angular reflective with an advertised gain of 1.1 so should be fine I would think.

Most grey screens are around 0.8 gain so will be dimmer than a unity gain white but reduce the amount of light being reflected of the screen and onto the walls. They shouldn't have any of the negatrive efects you mention either.

Gary

I'm still really confused as to whether to go for a high contrast screen as well. I have very light coloured wallsin the room so the projector lifts the subjective ambient light considerably. But I don't fancy a screen with gain as those I've seen have either had hot spots or kind of shimmered if you know what I mean.......:confused:

Hi
I have High Contrast and Matte white screens here in Bedfordshire which you are more than welcome to test using your own projector. Hanging are screens like Beamax with matte white 1.5 gain, Da-Lite matte white 1.0, Draper matte white 1.0 and high contrast grey 0.8, GreyWolf II glass beaded grey 1.8 (retroreflective), Panoview matte white 1.1, Sapphire matte white 1.0, Screen International high contrast grey 0.8 and more.

If you would like some impartial advice, please call me as the information offered is far too much to type.
Hope this helps.
Hik'

Hi
I have High Contrast and Matte white screens here in Bedfordshire which you are more than welcome to test using your own projector. Hanging are screens like Beamax with matte white 1.5 gain, Da-Lite matte white 1.0, Draper matte white 1.0 and high contrast grey 0.8, GreyWolf II glass beaded grey 1.8 (retroreflective), Panoview matte white 1.1, Sapphire matte white 1.0, Screen International high contrast grey 0.8 and more.

If you would like some impartial advice, please call me as the information offered is far too much to type.
Hope this helps.
Hik'

Hi Nik,

I might well take you up on that, you are over Luton way I think?

I am over there quite often so could easily take a long lunch :thumbsup:

Cheers

When looking at screens to enhance contrast then there really is no substitute for the DNP SuperNova series in my humble opinion. www.supernovascreen.com

I'll post some pics later on of a Flex (drop down version) being lit up by a JVC HD1 in a room with plenty of natural light and cream walls and carpet and white ceiling. Even in this environment contrast is still 40 or 50:1. The gain is around 0.85 so no problem with hotspotting which is an issue with high power types.

Before anyone asks, the Flex is around £9k but fixed frame versions start nearer £1500!

The supernova is a basically a optical screen, but used in front pro format. It is made of around 7 layers so is not just a gimmik.

A simplistic version is that there are ridges that run horizontally across the screen. These pretty much deflect all ambient light that hit the screen in this plane...which is the same plane that you view it in...the projected light is not effected unless stupidly positioned.

The result is that you can see an image of quality as in a darkened room but within a room with ambient light.

Still don't think it is worth the cash though, as firstly as with all optical screens the off-axis viewing is biased in the direction of the lenticular elements...so this is not good if the light is from a side window for example.

Also your eyes adjust to the lighting surroundings, so you may still perceive less contrast than is actually there.

I know of a few large installs, but for home this is OTT. A little planning can save so much cash!

A little planning can save so much cash!

so true :lesson:

i can see a 'cheap' £1.5k pj performing better in home then a 3k model just because the owner of the cheaper model has the right projection distance, screen, calibration, boundry paint colours, light control.

i guess there is a big DIY scene with pj screens

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom