Question High Ceilings and ebay screens with generous drop

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by twocan, Aug 14, 2019.

1. twocan

twocan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

Just moving in to a new house and wanting to set up a projector. I'm looking for a 100" 16:9 screen and will be sat around 3-3.5 meters away. The problem is it's an old property with very high ceilings, I have not had a chance to measure yet but they are around 2.5 meters at a guess.

I've been looking at options for manual pull down screens with a generous drop but the only ones I can find at the moment which seem to have what i'm looking for are total cheapies on ebay.

Example: Excelvan 100inch 16:9 1080P 1.2Gain Manual Pull Down Projector Projection Screen 667016842941 | eBay

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these screens, and had any idea what i'd be giving up in terms of quality. Also if anyone could suggest any alternatives, I'd considered floor mounted but these seem to have a lot of problems with waves or are massively out of my price range.

Also as a small addition, where on a items specs would I find information on the drop?
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. twocan

twocan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also as a small addition, where on a items specs would I find information on the drop?

Thanks

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,599
    Where the various border sizes are not indicated you are best to contact the reseller or manufacturer and ask for a drawing.

Some manufacturers will offer you the option of going with a larger cross section canister and adding additional top border if you have to mount the canister high on a wall.

Joe

4. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +993
    Would it be possible to mount the screen on the wall rather than the ceiling?

5. Varsas

Varsas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I wanted a screen with a big drop and ended up with an Optoma. I could find all the details back then, but can't now, you may have more luck!

6. twocan

twocan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you everyone, really struggling to find drops listed anywhere, you'd think that would be useful information. anyone have any experience with screens like the one I originally posted, the Chinese ebay one

7. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Have you looked at Metroplan? I have one of their screens (Eyeline Pro) and I have no complaints. I bought for the same reason as you - I needed a larger drop than is offered on other manufacturers. I think what you are after is the EMW24W with a 1m drop, but it is significantly more than the Ebay version. Eyeline Design Manual Screen

Have a look around, as I bought mine from projectorpoint for a lot less than list price (£258 vs £393 on the Metroplan site)