'High' car needed

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Iancity, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi, hope you can give me a pointer please....after years of 5 a side, combined with flat feet means my knees are absolutley knackered, hurts going upstairs, even more painful going down...always felt it getting in and especially out of cars as well but never really crossed my mind that changing my car would help...wasnt until I got out of a mates Alhambra with no pain, no clicking, no 'arghh' or 'ergghhh' that I realised getting a 'high' car may/will help loads.
    My job involves a lot of driving and getting in and out and feel I need to be looking at a different sort of car that I am used to to try and alleviate a little of the pain I have...
    So, wonder if anyone could recommend any cars where I could 'slide' in and out rather than climb? I dont really need a big SUV or MVP just really looking for a high car if such a thing exists...
    Have seen the Jukes, the C3 picassos, Golf plus etc and they fit the bill for what I am looking for but none of them particularly float my boat, just wondered if anyone has any other suggestions?

Another point which is relevant but I think I need to sort it myself really, just got a brand new i30 lease car through work in January 13, absolutley love it apart from the pain getting in and out, and am hoping to convince bosses that medically I need a different car as this one is on a 4 year lease...if anyone has any suggestions how to get round that one as well I would greatly appreciate it..

Many Thanks

Ian

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,684
    Work need to do a workplace occupational health assessment of any area you are expected to work, and this includes company vehicles. Therefore, if you cannot get in and out of the car without pain, this is something they need to address. This does not mean they have to get you a new car, just take steps to assist you in getting in and out.

In terms of the car, have a look at the Ford S-Max, as these are tall and a little bit sporty. They are damn heavy on fuel and CO2 though. BMX X3 also springs to mind, but it might be tricky getting either through on a company lease as a sideways move from an i30!

One other thing to look out for is the depth of the sill, as my father in law struggles with some cars where he needs to lift his legs over the lip to get in and out. He has a C4 Picasso as this has a nice level floor.

3. wack

wack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    I had a RAV4 I really liked

my sister has just bought a Qashquai cant spell it

she bought it so my 80 year old dad could get in it

she loves it, he gets in easily

4. djbsom

djbsom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +964
    You could try a Renault Modus, it's a Clio but a bit higher with bigger doors. Or, if buying new, it's replacement the Captur.

5. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,412
    Nissan Juke if you like the marmite looks.

6. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    Range Rover.

7. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Getting out of the lease could prove costly for your work.
    Any employees they could pass the car onto instead?
    Kia Sportage and Hyundai ix35 (same cars underneath) are high, cheap to run and cheap to lease.

8. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    My neighbour has had hip replacements and I went out visiting just about every manufacturer to see which one would be best for him.
    Out of the cars the Nissan Qashqai was the only one where he could comfortable swivel in and out.
    The seats are flat with no lips unlike many and its tall so as he swivels around to get out he is almost standing.

They have had one for 6 months now and are very pleased.

9. jjgreenwood

jjgreenwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Try a golf+ or a focus c max for a good car with a high position without the mad cost. Mpv will also usually work well so Zafira, Picasso and touran will all fit the bill. Van can also work so berlingo and caddy are worth a look.

10. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,831
    Maybe the gorgeous looking suzuki wagon r or even more stunning vauxhall meriva are made for people like yourself :)

Actually from personal experience I found the company van derived vehicles like the citroen berlingo types quite an upright seat type vehicle. As is a defender but no chance for you to get into one unfortunately.

11. jumborat

jumborat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I can vouch for the C-Max if you've got dodgy knees. I had my right knee replaced 4 years ago following many complications resulting from an accident a while ago. Getting in a conventional car was difficult so when it was time for a change I went for the new C-Max.

Then, back in November last year, I tore the cartilage and anterior cruciate ligament in my left knee. After having it operated on I was told the ACL was now non existent leaving me with no stability and a lot of pain. I can still get in and out of the car without too much trouble.