1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High bit rate DVD's in DTS.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by BadAss, Jan 1, 2002.

1. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Anybody got any titles that use the higher audio bit rate? If so how do they sound compared to a normal 44.1k track?

2. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Badass I have the `Dracula` superbit,and though I haven`t sat down all the way through the film (loads of other discs & christmas)I did a brief comparison and their was a marked diference between the normal disc and the `bit title,the audio had effects that just don`t exist on the normal disc - one being at the start of the film when we get to see his bride `Elizabeta` recieve the letter from the vengfull turks and she plummets out of the window,on the `bit title you get the roar of the river in 5.1,and on the normal disc - nothing.Now things are back to normal I will go through the disc and have a proper look,but even with a small glimse of this disc I would recomend it over the normal any day.I don`t know where the audio was mastered off,I remember the 3 disc `Criterion` laser I used to have of this title had far superior audio to the normal with them using `Coppalas master print and redoing the print and the audio to his vision,by the way that disc used to have the best commentary I have ever heard on laser or dvd bar none,shame it`s not been used anywhere :( Anyhow will try and post my findings later on today.

3. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I so happen to have this disk as well. Interesting to hear actual effects can be head as not before. But what I was thinking of was if cd's have a sample rate of 44.1k and a standard DD track is 48k and HDCD is 96k where does DTS at its high sample rate come?

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DTS comes in 2 forms on DVD

half bitrate and full bitrate.

Full bitrate is 1509 kbps
    Half bitrate is 768 kbps

The only difference between the 2 is that full bitrate DTS is less compressed and so takes up twice the disc space. Most DTS discs now released are half bitrate.

BTW: The dvd which is said to have the best DTS soundtrack is Saving Private Ryan, it's half bit rate.

Here is a list of DTS discs (with bitrate)http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bwescombe/dts_dvd.htm

5. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    CW2000,
    Cheers, I so happen to have none of them. :( How can you tell which bitrate a DVD has before and after youve bought it. I take it a high bit rate track will still show as 48k on my processor.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some Sony players have a bitrate viewer which displays audio bitrate.

Processors will see half-bitrate and full-bit rate DTS as the same thing.

7. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On DVD both 754 and 1509kbps DTS operate at 48kHz, although on CD and LaserDisc the 1235kbps variant ran at 44.1kHz. DTS are currently working on a 24bit 96kHz system, but I wouldn't hold my breath for any real studio support (I won't bore you with why this system is so completely pointless).

HDCD isn't a 96kHz system; on CD it's 44.1kHz.

Adam