1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High and Low-level input advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bwstsw, Oct 6, 2003.

1. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again,

I have been doing a bit of research into this high and low-level input stuff. When my BK XLS 200 arrives in a few days, I naturally want to feed it the best wiring and connections etc. I read in a magazine just yesterday, that more sophisticated subs that can handle both low and high together (ie the BK and most REL's and MJ's) provides a MUCH better sound when connected simultaneously. I have never personally seen what the High connection wire looks like, only what the input looks like. My setup is thus; maybe someone would be kind enough to explain how it works and how I could use them together (if possible).

AMP: Entry - Mid Range Sony (80w)
    Front Speakers: 2x Technics, 3 way (100w)
    Centre, and Surround: Entry Sony speakers (inclusive to the Amp and sub, as packaged)

I am going to gradually upgrade this system, next up are the sats, then finally the amp. But for now I need to connect this up properly with the new sub. So I have better sound, fingers crossed :D :smashin:

2. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi bwstsw

I've also ordered a BK XLS 200 to arrive this week.
    I had an exchange of emails with BK before ordering which must have been a pain for them but were informative for me.
    Anyway, I believe the connections are as follows:
    Low level - from the suwoofer connection on your amp to the sub.
    High level - from the front speaker connections on your amp to the sub. This means you have 2 sets of connections to the speaker outputs of your amp:
    1. speaker to amp.
    2. sub to amp
    I intend doing this by using 2 pairs of banana plugs and leapfrogging them.
    This is my understanding of it.

HTH

3. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Incidentally, in what magazine was the article?

4. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The magazine was 'Practical Hi-Fi' its an in-store magazine for a smallish chain of professional Hi-Fi dealers. I'll quote the article for you :)

"Most subwoofers offer a choice of two types of connection; a High level speaker connection and a low level line connection(s). The more sophisticated subs can handle both types of connection simultaneously. This makes a big difference to the sound of the unit. Just wiring up the low level connection means that you are at the mercy of your amplifiers bass management, and will only gain bass when the .1 channel of your DVD disc is so encoded. Wiring up via the High Level as well means the sub underpins the sound of the main loudspeakers, improving the entire sound, and not just adding the low frequency movie effects. A lot of films contain serious amounts of bass on the main channels, and not on the LFE channel; if the sub is only wired up on the LFE channel, then chances are all of this bass will be lost...All of our stores are happy to demonstrate the difference a quality sub can make".

There ya go :) Hope this helps, all I really wanted to know, is; How to connect them, but seems you have answered that for me :smashin: I might be calling on you again before long (come this friday) :lesson:

5. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a BK XLS 200 a few months ago, and initially just connected it using a low level cable to the LFE out on my amp. I assumed my Pioneer 2011 amp would adequately service it by setting all the other speakers to 'small', but the difference in music quality by adding the supplied high-level neutrik cable was amazing - much fuller and more natural sounding.

Just don't forget to put the fronts on 'large' so the high level cable gets all the low frequencies from them...

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What a load of rubbish. Most amplifiers will allow you to set your speakers to small and all the bass plus the LFE through the .1 channel is directed to the sub.

The last time that I used a high level connection on my sub was in Dolby Pro Logic days when there wasn't a dedicated sub output on my amp.