1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hifi vs Home Cinema, can I have both on a budget

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pword, May 18, 2005.

1. Pword

Pword

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to all of this and would like some help please.
    I have a limited budget of £700 and would like a new hifi/Home cinema system.
    Am I fooling myself that I could get both. Instead of getting seperate amps and players I was thinking of getting a

Amp: Yamaha 750SE
    DVD: Pioneer DV575A
    Speakers: Tannoy FX5.1

This sounds alright in terms of the home cinema but I an not sure sonically.
    Can I play CDs through a DVD player and multi channel speakers and get a decent result?

Do you have any alternative suggestions for kit, should I go for completely seperate systems?

I would be grateful for any thoughts.

Thanks.

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    At this price level in my opinion there is quite a big difference between "hifi" and "home cinema" kit. The amp you have picked isn't too bad for use with both, but the speakers and DVD player will be weak with regards to music play back. Music (again in my opinion) never sounds very good through a satellite/sub system. It's always better through larger more full range designs. You can get a nice little Rotel or Marantz CD player that will stomp all over the Pioneer for not much money if you shop around :thumbsup: