Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Hifi vs Home Cinema, can I have both on a budget

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Pword, May 18, 2005.

1. Pword

Pword

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a limited budget of £700 and would like a new hifi/Home cinema system.
    Am I fooling myself that I could get both. Instead of getting seperate amps and players I was thinking of getting a

Amp: Yamaha 750SE
    DVD: Pioneer DV575A
    Speakers: Tannoy FX5.1

This sounds alright in terms of the home cinema but I an not sure sonically.
    Can I play CDs through a DVD player and multi channel speakers and get a decent result?

Do you have any alternative suggestions for kit, should I go for completely seperate systems?

I would be grateful for any thoughts.

Thanks.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    You can get a reasonable sound from a dvd player and an amp like the excellent ax750. It will not be as good as a dedicated cd player but until you get one you wouldnt notice.

My only problem is with the use of satalite speakers. I feel that you will neve get the same musical responce with them than with floostanding or bookshelf speakers.

AX750 £352 inc
    Pioneer dv575s multi region £97:90 (+postage?)
    Total £453 ish leaving approx £250 for speakers and all cabling.

Tannoy fx5.1 £200
    Or the replacement EFX5.1 for £259:50 inc stands, wall brackets and 25m of speaker cable :smashin: