Question Hifi system with usb reader that reads folders then files

canary90

Novice Member
Hi. Newbie on here.
Im looking for a hifi system or player that plays USB flash drives, cds, has a dab tuner and can connect to an outdoor dab aerial.
The main function from the usb I would like is for me to the be able to access my files (songs) via folders then individual files from the folder (album). I dont not want a player where you have to go through all the files to get to the individual files (songs). My wife likes to use her usb drive and has 100 plus albums.
Most retailers havent a clue.
Any ideas?
Thanks

dazed&confused

Are you building a complete system from scratch or do you already have an amplifier, speakers, and CD player? Does it also need to be able to stream, from the internet and/or a local network drive? Are you looking for a 'full size hifi' for the living room for example, or a small system say for the kitchen or bedroom? How much were you thinking of spending?

canary90

Novice Member
A smallish system, all built-in, not one to build. The main feature would be the usb reader, cd player and dab, anything else would be a bonus. Looking to spend £320 max. Thanks

dazed&confused

A chain-store Hifi shop such as Richer Sounds is probably your best bet, where you'll get value for money from high volume sales combined with staff members who have a sufficient understanding of your needs.

Here's just one example which seems to fit the bill.

Panasonic SAPMX82 & Q Acoustics Q3020

You'll see other mini systems on the same pages, some of which would perhaps sound a little better, but you'll need to read the specs carefully to check they have what you need. If you go to the menu you might even find something under 'hifi bundles' as well as 'mini hifi bundles'. If you want to stretch your budget then larger speakers is the place to put it (provided the amplifier has sufficient power) but bear in mind you will preferably need something suitable to stand the speakers on to get the best sound out of them.

Last edited:

canary90

Novice Member
Thanks. I rang Richersounds and the staff member in Nottingham was as helpful as Currys.. Not at all.. Thats the reason why I have posted on here. I didnt think it would be such a difficult question as the feature I want isn't unreasonable and is readily available in car audio systems.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
The main function from the usb I would like is for me to the be able to access my files (songs) via folders then individual files from the folder (album). I dont not want a player where you have to go through all the files to get to the individual files (songs).

That would be the way most people store albums and is the way every player Ive ever seen works.
Are you perhaps using some format that wont work that way?
Do you have a player that does not work this way?

What is your music format?
Mp3 , flac, something else?

dazed&confused

That's frustrating. I've had quite mixed experiences of Richer sounds - with some staff members being highly knowledgeable and others being a bit clueless, but I would say clueless about some of the more technical aspects rather than basic functionality.

Anyway, in that case you could try directly contacting the manufacturer's customer services line. I've usually found this effective - more often than not the customer services people are not confident about the answer, but they will invariably put you through to one of the tech guys or get someone to call you back.

An on-line search of the manual for the system I suggested seems to imply that it has the functionality you want. If you look to the right hand side of the page you will see that, for a USB drive, it refers to searching & selecting albums and searching & selecting tracks.

Inserting Media; Media Playback Controls - Panasonic SC-PMX82 Operating Instructions Manual [Page 8]

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
If you can find one as a refurb or new old stock the Denon DM40DAB may do you. They removed USB from the current DM41.

rog11812

The Marantz MCR611 has two usb ports one on the front one on the back and can usually be found on offer for around £250 from the usual online stores, i.e Richer sounds, Superfi, Peter Tyson.

I have the previous model the MCR610 and i have a 64gb usb plugged into the front. It works as you want listing the folders then the files within the folder when you select a given folder.

dazed&confused

The Marantz MCR611 has two usb ports one on the front one on the back and can usually be found on offer for around £250 from the usual online stores, i.e Richer sounds, Superfi, Peter Tyson.

I have the previous model the MCR610 and i have a 64gb usb plugged into the front. It works as you want listing the folders then the files within the folder when you select a given folder.

The Marantz MCR611 would be nice and it does streaming as well, which could give unlimited access to any music with an odd advert here or there, but the cheapest price is £299 from Superfi (reduced from £499), which leaves us with just £20 for speakers.

rog11812

Most of the files on my usb are apple lossless with some mp3 and some aac.

Richer Sounds

AVForums Sponsor
Thanks. I rang Richersounds and the staff member in Nottingham was as helpful as Currys.. Not at all.. Thats the reason why I have posted on here. I didnt think it would be such a difficult question as the feature I want isn't unreasonable and is readily available in car audio systems.

I saw your comments on the thread and was obviously sorry to read that the sales colleague you spoke with was unhelpful.

So that I may investigate, and resolve the matter, please could you drop me a PM with your details on?

Once again, I offer my apologies, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many thanks

John Clayton
Operations Director
Richer Sounds

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
I 2nd the marantz mcr61x

I also have the mcr610 for the bedroom and it does what you've ask.
If you don't mind 2nd hand then they can be had for around £200-250.

Marantz M-CR610 CD Player Network Receiver Hi-Fi System USB WiFi DAB Amp 829447117580 | eBay

However, if you can wait just a little bit longer then there will most likely be a new model being released soon ( march/april) which will make the MCR611 cheaper in order to shift them to make room for the new model. That's how i got my 610 - £215 new.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom