Hifi Surround speaker system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by RhysGM, Mar 3, 2013.

1. RhysGM

RhysGM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I want to rebuild my old surround sound system. Purely concerned with the speakers at the moment. I'm using XBMCbuntu and I'll upgrade my TV to 3D later.

For now this is what I currently have;

Yamaha DSP-A595a - it's served me well for 10+ years, and never faltered.
    Tannoy Mercury M2 - Good speakers for my size room, excellent on music and films, good bass for their size too.
    REL Q200E sub woofer - There's some distortion during quiet periods, needs to be fixed or replaced. But when it works it is a beast and I do like it.

So I have £1,000 to spend to get up to 5.1, what are your suggestions? I figured I have to get rid of my Tannoys which I've had for nearly 15 years, it will be a shame, but I've been looking for a couple years on ebay for matching set of M3's and the centre speaker but I can't find them in Cherry.

Would you recommend replacing my amp too?

And what about the sub, is it worth fixing or would it be cheaper to buy a new one?

And finally what surround speakers shall I get?

What are your ideas?

2. RhysGM

RhysGM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking around and you can get complete packages for only a few hundred pounds.

Akai 220534HR Home Theatre Hifi Tower £309.90

[​IMG]

Are they any good? Or is there any recommended brands within my price bracket? I do like the idea of floor standers for the fronts. And I think I will stick with my amp and ditch the speakers and sub.

Thanks for any suggestions.

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,438
    They are not going to be good quality since look his many drivers you are getting. That is not much money for each one. If the budget is tight the concentrate it on buying a couple if good speakers instead of lots of poor ones. Stick to more known speaker brands like tannoy, wharfedale, monitor audio etc.

4. RhysGM

RhysGM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    I personally wouldn't touch the AKAI 5.1 package with a barge pole and depending on the size of the room and the Wharfs Dia 10 HCP could be a little on the light side.

What is the room size?

You can always build your 5.1 package separately if you cant find exactly what you are looking for in a package deal. Just make sure that the fronts and centre are of the same make model and range. The sub can be any other sub make if you so wish as they are not fussy who they are paired with and for me, that would be a BK sub.
    The Rears do not have to be of the same range ( though nice if they were) but the same make and maybe a class below or previous model would be more advantageous than going with an different make entirely.

For instance, the wharfedales 121 HCP below, a pair of 121 could be swapped for 155. I believe the 101C is the centre for the 155 so no change there. Buying separately might increase the price a little but the dealer might be kind enough to do a package deal. No harm in asking.

The following made up packages are discontinued models but only just and are being sold at discounted prices to make way for the new. They are still very good speakers and in the same class as the Monitor Audio package.

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.4 SPEAKERS (PAIR) £249
    Wharfedale Diamond 10.CM Centre Speaker £135
    Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 Standmount Speakers £125
    BK Gemini £215

Total = £724

or
    WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1 SPEAKERS & SW150 SUBWOOFER 2.1 SPEAKER PACKAGE £229

Total = £613

Also these

Acoustic Energy Neo Series V2 £630
    and sub :
    BK Gemini £215 or XLS200 £315

Total = £845 or £945

There are other packages that can be made up from these and other makes and there's no rule saying you have to buy all at once. Start with the front 3 and build as money allows.

Just a few thoughts

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  6. RhysGM

RhysGM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input. My room is 4m x 5m.

These do look very nice, although after looking at some of speaker systems, I now prefer the idea of having a complete matching set. So I probably wont go for a BK sub unless it is drastically better.

Acoustic Energy Neo Series V2 £1045

[​IMG]

The Wharfedales you mentioned are very nice too, although I think I would go for this sub so it matches;

Wharfedale Diamond 10.SX

[​IMG]

Just to clarify does it matter if I get bookshelves or purpose built surround speakers. The room will be setup as a square with the rears right next to the sofa, no room for them to go behind and would prefer not to mount them on the walls to the side. Directionally would it matter? What about these, they might be small enough to put on the wall.

Wharfedale Diamond 10.SR

[​IMG]

Do I need to upgrade my amp? I don't really know what they do, (apart from the obvious). Depending on if I do I guess it just leaves me to decide between the Acoustic Energy or Wharfedales + amp.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  7. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,438
    You do not really want the rears speakers right next to the sofa since you need some space for the sound to diffuse. Having a speaker right next to you will not give a great surround experience. A bipole/dipole speaker (like the BXFX) can help but even then you still need some gap between your ears and the speaker.
    As for the sub, there is no benefit going for the same brand of sub, and in fact in most cases you will be paying more for an inferior product compared to a dedicated sub manufacturer i.e. BK Electronics.

8. rocknroll3103

rocknroll3103
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  9. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    As said about the rears. If you could pull the sofa forward a few inches then things will work a lot better. My room size and situation is not so dissimilar to yours so i have my rears on the floor behind the sofa at the angle they would be if on stands or wall. I pulled the sofa forward around 6" from the wall so at least there is a gap for sound to travel through. Definitely not the ideal way to have things, but like you, cannot wall mount them so have to work with what i've got.

Also agreed about the sub. The AE and wharfedale Subs i'm sure are decent, but the equivalent BK subs are better than both, cheaper (well, cheaper than the AE) and purpose built.

10. RhysGM

RhysGM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help and advice, I drove down to richer sounds and listened to the Monitor Audio BX5's. And I bought them, I understand what you're saying about the sub and maybe I've spend a couple hundred quid more then I could of, but the whole lot together does look pretty. I'm not an audiophile so looks are just as important to me as sound quality. £1200 with free speaker cable.

[​IMG]

I got the fx side speakers as opposed to the bx1 book shelf which means I should be able to wall mount. Side wall or rear wall and high up or ear level? Plus they have a bipole and dipole switch?!

11. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,438
    THe rears should be mounted about 30cm above head height when seated. As for bipole/dipole you would select one or the other depending on the mounting location. Dolby or THX will guide you on which to use and where.