HiFi Suggestions

Untold

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm in the process of looking to change up my current system, moving away from a valve amp to something a bit simpler.

My current setup is as follows, and has been for about the past 7 years or so:

Amp: Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum
Speakers: Tannoy Mercury M4
Record Player: Audio Technical AT-LP1240-USB

The primary aim for the new build is to:
1. Change amp to something less heavy (this thing is a beast at ~25kg and I am worried it will no longer fit on our shelf)
2. Upgrade speakers and record player to something more in line with the amp in terms of quality
3. Speakers ideally need to be bookshelf and sit on a 30cm deep shelf).

I have also attached an image of the shelf this will all be sitting on.

As a side note, does anyone have any idea what the original Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum would go for these days?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and take care!

Attachments

• WhatsApp_Image_2021-11-08_at_4.25.50_PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp_Image_2021-11-08_at_4.25.50_PM.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Do you have a budget in mind? Room size? Any other sources apart from vinyl? CD, TV, streaming?

Upvote 0
Hi Nico,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Budget wise, it would ideally be around the $7.5-$10k mark (AUD) total.

Room size, it will be sitting in our living/dining area, which is approx 5.3m x 5.7m.

We will primarily be using vinyl/streaming from Spotify.

One thing to note with the speakers, we would preference bookshelf speakers (I have edited main post to reflect this).

Upvote 0
If you have a look on Hifishark in the sold items it may give you a clue as to the value. Also sold items on eBay (there are no listing on the .co.uk site but the us or aus ones may have listings).

For that set up I would look at -

Lyngdorf TDAI1120 streaming amp with roomperfect eq system and turntable input.
Dynaudio Special 40’s for speakers or Kef R3
Rega Planar 3 (or possibly 6 if budget allows) with a AT VM540ML cartridge.
You can add a sub woofer later if you feel the bass is lacking.

No idea if this is in Budget in AUS but should be close to the top end.

For the turntable it may be worth looking for a second hand Marantz TT15S1 which is designed by Clearaudio iirc and the Virtuoso cartridge can be upgraded with a AT VMN95ML stylus with a bit of DIY. In the UK these go for around £800 (£1500 new), another second hand table to look for is the Roksan Radius 5.

Just my 2p worth.

Upvote 0
If you have a look on Hifishark in the sold items it may give you a clue as to the value. Also sold items on eBay (there are no listing on the .co.uk site but the us or aus ones may have listings).

For that set up I would look at -

Lyngdorf TDAI1120 streaming amp with roomperfect eq system and turntable input.
Dynaudio Special 40’s for speakers or Kef R3
Rega Planar 3 (or possibly 6 if budget allows) with a AT VM540ML cartridge.
You can add a sub woofer later if you feel the bass is lacking.

No idea if this is in Budget in AUS but should be close to the top end.

For the turntable it may be worth looking for a second hand Marantz TT15S1 which is designed by Clearaudio iirc and the Virtuoso cartridge can be upgraded with a AT VMN95ML stylus with a bit of DIY. In the UK these go for around £800 (£1500 new), another second hand table to look for is the Roksan Radius 5.

Just my 2p worth.
Thanks Ugg,

Will check out Ebay and Hifishark! Looks like the amp has at least held its value which is great. Wondering whether it's just worth holding onto, as it's a beautiful amp.

The Lyngdorf is beautiful and definitely the look we are going for.

The Special 40's are what I was looking at, so good to hear I'm on the right track. One thing I would be interested in, we would likely need the speakers to be laying horizontally. Does this have any/much effect on audio quality?

The Planar 3 also looks great and should keep us within budget, but will also take a look at the second hand options.

Really appreciate your time to make these suggestions!

Upvote 0
As an alternative you could look at the following - bit of a wild card but .....

Trade your Rogue in for an RP1 preamp (only 2 tubes to worry about and fairly cheap to roll, 12AU7's), or possibly use the Lyngdorf TDAI1120 as a preamp.

Add a streamer and dac of your choice - Primare NP5mk2 + SMSLSU9

Add turntable as above (RP1 is reported to have a very good Phono input)

Add a pair of Dynaudio Lyd48 active speakers - these are designed to be on their sides and are full 3 way designs, only issue may be getting a power cable to each of them.

Just a thought.

Upvote 0
As an alternative you could look at the following - bit of a wild card but .....

Trade your Rogue in for an RP1 preamp (only 2 tubes to worry about and fairly cheap to roll, 12AU7's), or possibly use the Lyngdorf TDAI1120 as a preamp.

Add a streamer and dac of your choice - Primare NP5mk2 + SMSLSU9

Add turntable as above (RP1 is reported to have a very good Phono input)

Add a pair of Dynaudio Lyd48 active speakers - these are designed to be on their sides and are full 3 way designs, only issue may be getting a power cable to each of them.

Just a thought.
Thanks Ugg10, really appreciate the recommendations.

Probably a newbie question, but in terms of the amp setup, is there any reason to have a DAC and Streamer attached to the Lyngdorf? What benefits does this add vs going straight into the Lyngdorf?

Regarding the speakers, yea this is going to be a bit of a tricky setup, as there is basically no room between the back of the shelves and the wall, so would have to chase any cables straight into the wall. Ideally, this would only be for the speaker cables rather than speaker cable and power.

Would there be a major difference in sound putting a regular bookshelf speaker on its side?

Upvote 0
No need for a streamer or dac with the Lyngdorf TDAI1120, it's all built in.

Never tried putting bookshelf speakers on their side, sorry, may be worth looking at front ported speakers though, or the Dali Menuet which is designed to go on a wall.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom