Question HiFi Speakers online or offline?

Rasu

Novice Member
Hi Guys, I just registered to the forum, created a post, it said under review and then it was gone. Checked the rules and don't think I did something wrong and also no message or notification so I will try again.
Apologies in advance if I am breaking any forum rules.

Hi from Vienna, I've been reading here from time to time but now have joined the community

So my question is the following:
I am moving to a new apartment soon and obviously my main concern is the HiFi setup I am going to use. The place is smaller than the current one so I want to downsize and modernize my system.

Currently:
Amp - Sony TA F570 Es
Tapedeck - Pioneer
Tuner - Sony St 5660 ES
Turntable - Reloop Turn 5
Passive Speakers - Cyrus CLS 70
DAC - Musical Fidelity V-DAC
Phono Preamp - Nad PP2

I want to get rid of the speakers, the tapedeck, the amplifier and the tuner and replace it with active speakers.
Now I have looked at options and find the Yamaha NX N500 quite attractive, they come in around 700€ have a built in DAC, WiFi on board already and sure look like a capable little set of speakers.
I wonder if I might get more speaker for my money (better sound) if I choose a pair that has no built in DAC, WIFI/BT, Phono Pre or other nice features and use a chrome cast and my existing DAC/Pre instead.
I have looked around a bit and it seems most active speakers without those options are studio monitors rather than hifi gear. I am not opposed to them in principle and have been using a pair as desktop speakers but sure they are not build for the purpose of enthusiastic music listening and TV watching.

So what would you do? Get a pair of speakers with everything built in or a pair that is offline on itself and connect to chromecast or similar.
Recommendations for specific models are very welcome, budget is around 700€
They should be bookshelf /stand mount speakers and need to connect to turntable, TV and tablet/phone via wifi.

Thanks very much for your input.

Paul7777x

For your budget I’d seriously consider a pair of these mighty fine Focals.

These are priced as a single speaker so double the price for your pair.

Rasu

Novice Member
Cheers Paul

I'll put the Focal on the list of options. Would you say the yamaha is a big improvement over a chromecast connected to my musical fidelity Dac?

Paul7777x

Cheers Paul

I'll put the Focal on the list of options. Would you say the yamaha is a big improvement over a chromecast connected to my musical fidelity Dac?

It may not be an improvement at all, as both the CCA and Yamahas Chromecast connect are the same service.

However, the dac section in the Yamah is excellent in my opinion, as is the preamp section.

The MF dac is no doubt a good one, but it has no volume control ability so can’t be used directly with active speakers.

I had assumed you were after a smaller number of boxes. However if not, then keeping the CCA and the MF dac and adding them to this preamp would be considerably less expensive.

Rasu

Novice Member
The MF dac is no doubt a good one, but it has no volume control ability so can’t be used directly with active speakers.

So my plan was to connect the TV via optical to my current DAC, As well as connect a CCA or similar to the DAC via 3,5mm or coax
Then run the DAC into the speakers either via the RCA or XLR or whatever connections the speakers offer.

Then I could control the volume via the TV remote or the spotify app. But right for the turntable It would be more complicated unless the speakers come with a remote themselves

I assumed this would work without adding a preamp like the yamaha or the nobsound but maybe I am not thinking right?

Paul7777x

You cannot control the tv volume by its remote whilst using the optical output. It is a fixed output.

Obviously, as you say, the turntable will require a preamp in any case.

And I’m unsure about whether or not you can control the volume of the CCA when using the digital output... I only ever used mine, digitally, through my WXC-50 or Lexicon.

A separate preamp is usually a much tidier and useful way to gather all your sources together imo.

Rasu

Novice Member
Thanks again Paul, some really useful information.

Seems to be a bit more complicated to bring the HiFi into the 21st Century.

Anyone else who has some suggestions, what would be your active speaker of choice for a budget around 700€

Rasu

Novice Member
It is around 20 m2 5x4 approx

Listening position will be 1.5- 2m away from TV and Speakers
Actually I don't live there yet and the landlord has not provided an accurate room plan so it's a bit guesswork, but definetly not bigger than 20m2

I have looked at the Adam T8V as well they look kind of nice with the ribbon tweeters but no Idea if that's all show

The Dali Zensor A1X or the Triangle LN01 are interesting as well

Both options are a bit cheaper but seem to be well reviewed and more of the all in one solution

I know these are all different kind of speakers, just hard to decide which way to go. Don't want to change all the gear again in a year or two so difficult choice

Rasu

Novice Member
I also have a option to get a pair of used Audioengine A5+ for 200€.

Thats a pretty nice price, any thoughts on those speakers?

Rasu

Novice Member
So after some soul searching, a bit of listening, some online and offline discussions and increasing my budget I have moved away from the small is beautiful and am considering some floorstanding models.

Magnat Magnasphere 55
1.gif
https://www.magnat.d...phere/magnasphere-55

Dali Zensor 5 AX
1.gif
https://www.dali-spe.../zensor/zensor-5-ax/

Wharfedale Diamond A2 active
1.gif
Diamond Active – A2 – WHARFEDALE

These are my candidates all between 700 and 1200 euros with the Dali the cheapest, and the magnat the most expensive options.

I want to decide soon as I am moving to the new apartment today and all I have left now is a crappy Bluetooth speaker😁

I think the Magnat may be the best choice, they look solid in the reviews, have all features I am looking for and have come down a bit from their initial 2.5k euro price.

Now comes a stupid question, I read about the dali, that the analog signal you feed it is converted into digital

Is that the same for the magnat and wharfedale? What does this mean for my vinyl? Will I change the analog experience to something digitally compressed?

Sorry I am really not an expert in these things😅

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom