Hifi Rose 150b & Lyngdorf TDAI1120.

You also get 2-way control over USB - so if you're going into an amp or a DAC you can get pause/play/fwd/rwd control etc over USB :)
Yes, in USB Audio the control signals can be used for setting non flow control type parameters, such as volume, mute, sample rate, etc, but that has nothing to do with sending the actual digital audio signal data via USB Audio, which is sent isochronously in real-time & therefore cannot be controlled by the receiver:
1671193667865.png

So for USB Audio, the control signals are not used for the audio file player type flow control parameters you mention (pause/play/fwd/rwd etc).
Audio DACs do not input(, decode & play) audio files (WAV, FLAC, MP3, etc) - they simply input (real-time) digital audio signals (LPCM, DSD, etc).

Last edited:
I can do a video of the RS520 (new streaming amp) used as a streamer (transport) to a USB interface on an integrated amplifier/DAC with the amp controlling the media?

Agree - it transports at this time the file in digital media (non decoded). It sees the file in whatever format (MQA/non) is output from the Rose transport

I can do a video of the RS520 (new streaming amp) used as a streamer (transport) to a USB interface on an integrated amplifier/DAC with the amp controlling the media?
Of course - the streamer itself is decoding & playing the (MQA or non-MQA) files, ie, the streamer is the player - sending the resulting digital audio signal out via USB Audio to the DAC. It is not USB control signals that get the receiving DAC to stop 'playing'; it is you stopping the streamer player from decoding & playing the files that stops the digital audio signal from getting sent to the DAC (via USB) in the first place!!

Agree - it transports at this time the file in digital media (non decoded). It sees the file in whatever format (MQA/non) is output from the Rose transport
No, no & thrice no - not files or digital media - they are digital signals. MQA/non-MQA is input by the DAC as an LPCM signal, not a file.

You should also try the Rose into the 1120’s analogue input.
That would mean the digital signal is converted to analogue, then back to digital (if RP is to be engaged) and lastly back to analogue. Crazy idea surely?

Can I stream with the Rose and run optical out, into the 1120,
Yes, but please don't do it that way. Use any other digital interconnect rather than optical. EAS/EBU ideally, otherwise coax. Even USB if available may be better than optical.

Frankly you should get a higher quality amp for the Rose 150. This is a pretty high end streamer and includes an excellent DAC and preamp circuit so use these if possible. The 1120 is no match. The 3400 maybe, but I'd probably get a high quality power and or maybe an integrated and get your speakers and listening room set up so you don't need to resort to any form of electronic signal processing to get your system sounding its best.

However if your speakers are of compantale quality to the 1120, perhaps you've over-cooked your streamer - the 150 is top of Rose's range and deserves a first-class amp and first-class speakers. That's more food-for-thought than criticism in any way of your system.

Inclidentally, I'm considering the Rose 150B myself though it will be matched with a £5-8K amplifier as this is a more appropriate match for the Rose and my speakers. I don't engage my existing room correction DSP for reasons previously described - better sound without, despite maybe flatter bass response curve.

So, the RS150 turns up. Bit of a learning curve, but starting to get the feel. Well, this is a quandary. It is only early days but foregoing the TDAi’s Room Perfect, and streaming Roon, (Roon is a more enjoyable experience over the Rose Home application, in my opinion, it is a bit clunky. {Software updates may remedy this}),
Your description of the Rose app matches my own experience after a short showroom demo. It isn't great, so Roon could be an answer. However, if going down the Roon route, why not get a Nucleus and don't bother with the Rose at all? Use the Nucleus as your streamer with the excellent Roon app and feed its digital output into a digital amp. If the 1120 accepts the digital out from the Nucleus, you are done! Nice and simple and a lot less costly than the Rose - and a much better user interface too. Just a thought.

PS - I notice you have the highly-regarded Goldenear Triton 1 speakers. The Rose 150 and your speakers deserve a better amp than the 1120, despite your love of it. My own speakers probably deserve a better amp than the one in my excellent NAD M33, but that's going to be an expensive move.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom