1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HIFI or Home cinema?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by parloner, Jan 16, 2002.

1. parloner

parloner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of buying a new HIFI-system for home use. Now tell me, would it be wise to buy a home cinema system (reciever+speaker-package) instead of a regular HIFI-system? Is the surround-system loudspeakers good enough for music? Hope someone get the point...

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can start with good hifi speakers, but with an AV receiver good with music, and a DVD player good with CDs, and later complete the system if you want to...

3. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of upgrading the amp on my hi-fi and maybe my hi-fi speakers too, hoping to kill two birds with one stone and use for home cinema.

My budget's not too big, so I was thinking of maybe the Denon AVR 1602 or the Marantz SR4200 as I believe both of these have reviewed well in terms of both stereo sound AND surround - both are around the £300-350 mark.

I'll probably still keep the CD and DVD separate (getting two well reviewed budget players rather than an expensive all rounder) - possibly the Toshiba SD 210E and the NAD C521 (I think)

I'm a bit stumped on what I should do about speakers! I don't have a lot of room for big ones, but would like reasonably good quality stereo AND surround from the same kit

All help & advice appreciated! Good amp choices?

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get a pair of the best monitor size speakers (and stands), and a good subwoofer, it will be great with music and films...

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,613
    This question is a common one and home cinema enthusiasts are well aware of the compromises made when buying AV gear.
    I would say that when it comes to speakers and subwoofers, decent kit is every much as good for HiFi as home cinema. Good speakers from the likes of Mission, Kef, Monitor Audio, M&K, Castle, Ruark etc. are designed for music, and you just need more of the same ot make a surround sound speaker system.
    The main compromise for AV enthusiasts is amps and DVD players.
    You have to spend much more (more than twice as much?) on an AV amp for quality equivalent to a stereo amp. Makes sense since AV amps have 5 or 7 channels of amplification rather than 2.
    And DVD players have extra circuitry to decode MPEG and output video as well as audio. Makes sense that you need to spend lots in order to get one which is excellent at CD aswell as DVD.
    For most AV system owners, I would suggest that a compromise in quality is worth the added thrill of a surround sound experience. But you can have the best of both worlds - quality and quantity if you are prepared to spend more.

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,216
    for the dvd, and cd replay problem....why not just purchase a cd player and a dvd player??

This would save having to comprise in that area.

7. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If your A/V receiver budget is £350, go for the Marantx SR5200 instead of the SR4200.