1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hifi/home cinema set up

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Gwisely, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Gwisely

Gwisely

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like a system that can play standard CDs through more than 2 speakers and can also be used as a surround sound home cinema system. Is it possible to do this with separate hifi and home cinema systems without having separate speakers for the 2 systems or should I just go for a more expensive multi amp and DVD player such as the Arcam AVR250 and D79?

I'm aware that CD's usually sound the best through a dedicated stereo amp and CD player but I'm used to having 4 speakers in my old hifi which I also have hooked up to the TV for a pseudo-surround sound. I would like to upgrade to true surround sound and replace my old hifi but I don't want to have to double up all the speakers around the room.

Any suggestions?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    any decent AV receiver will have 20+ sim surround settings for playing stereo sources via mulitchannel

3. Gwisely

Gwisely

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks.

If I was to budget for around £1000 would an Arcam D79 give me the best music and cinema performance or should I buy separate DVD and CD players? If so what do you recommend?