1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hifi Damaged while at Dealer for repair

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by s2holdings, May 2, 2005.

1. s2holdings

s2holdings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can anyone Help or offer advice?

My Amp was cosmetically damged at the Dealers while it was being repaired...

Any Ideas where i stand, or what i can do???

thanks

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  3. s2holdings

s2holdings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

I have but they are not very helpful.... just looking what legal rights i have

4. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +832
    Hate to say it, but I can see you getting into a "they said" "you said" scenario unless you have a completely independent witness (doubtful) that your equipment was perfect when it went into the dealers. I know that doesn't sound very helpful but I reckon that it'll be pretty near the mark.

I hope for your sake that someone can prove me wrong.

All the best,

Cheers,

Martin.

5. s2holdings

s2holdings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    the amp has been at the dealer for the past 8 weeks. and was only purchased after xmas. And to be honest their was no damage to the amp as it was in a nice new rack on a shelf of its own.......

In the time at the dealer it has been back to denon twice and seems to have been damage in transit..
    thanks

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  7. machinehead

machinehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    as far as i know you have to prove that it was ok before it was put in for repair.go to your local trading standards office they should be able to point you in the right direction.let us know the outcome please.

8. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    In the past, when I've had equipment repaired, I was given a repair chit/ receipt, which amongst other things, stated the condition that the item was in when the dealer accepted it.

I take it that this wasn't the case in this incidence?

9. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +832
    I know it doesn't help s2holdings but perhaps there's a lesson to be learned here - always take a couple of pictures of items before handing them in anywhere for repair.

Cheers,

Martin.

10. ap69

ap69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    s2Holdings
    Regardless of any damage by the dealer, I'd say you have a very good case for demanding a full refund on the original purchase. If it's been back to the manufacturer for 2 months out of the 5 you've owned it, it is clearly not fit for the purpose for which it was sold.
    Take legal advice from Trading Standards and your credit card supplier (if used), but demand a full refund.

11. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    For the damage in transit it comes down ultimately to proof (or in the absense of proof who would a judge believe?). It is certainly best to have some kind of document detailing any pre-existing damage (or lack of) before putting an item into repair signed by both customer and dealer and copies kept by both.

Whilst photos may help the issue comes to how can you prove when the photos were taken.

The thing to remember is that civil law only requires "on the balance of probabilities" rather than "beyond reasonable doubt" which is required by criminal law.

12. s2holdings

s2holdings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    bit of a update,

the dealer has admitted the damage was not their when taken in, so i am getting somewhere..

thanks for the advice

Steve

13. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +832
    Good on you - keep at them.

Best of luck,

Martin.

14. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Hopefully, if they have admitted the damage was caused while in their care, you should be on a winner.

If the thing has been back to the manufactuer twice already, I doubt I would want it back in any case. It doesn't do much to inspire confidence in the product. :thumbsdow

15. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    this may be a little bit cheeky bu Adobe Photoshop can work wonders on 'scratches' and it would be a simple as pie to add a timecode too...but you didn't hear that from me ;)

16. s2holdings

s2holdings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As an update, I took the Amp back 2 hrs after i saw the damage and they kept it there for a few days and said they will contact denon! They then took some pics of the dent i was on about not the little scratches you get from stacking you equipment and said they were not on there originally. So i got the Amp back home and connected it up to watch a few DVD's on the new projector and screen.

BUT and a big BUT.......

Turned on the Amp tuned the Radio in while waiting for the wife to get the beers and went out to help, and left the radio on..... Next thing was that the smoke alarms were going off so legged it back in to see the amp doing a good impression of a smoke machine from a Night Club, So 17:15 now disconnected the AMP and took back to shop before closing.. Saw the Dealer and said i have another problem with the Amp, i said is there a Dem room i can take it into rather than letting the other customers see the damage that a denon amp can do.

The Dealer was shocked to see what had happened, and thanked me for the discretion i showed. That was 7 days ago. Now i am a owner of a Yamaha -AX750SE. I know the amp has been recently been updated to the AX757, but i did not refuse the audition at a price of £250. The dealer has been faultless through out all of this and is currently fighting with Denon to get me a refund on the other denon kit i brought at the same time, as i purchased a Denon CD Player, Denon DVD. I want a one make system so i looking at replacing with the equivilent Yamaha Stuff.

17. Kaotician

Kaotician

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Your dealer shouldn't need to 'fight with Denon' at all. Your rights as a consumer are to own goods 'fit for purpose' for the duration that is defined in law as 'a reasonable period of time' - in this case, 12 months. Your issue is solely with the dealer, and it falls to him to make good to you and then attempt to resolve the issue between himself and Denon 'privately', as it were.

Basically, it's not your problem. He's sold you goods unfit for purpose. Denon have sold him goods unfit for purpose. That's two separate claims, not a chain-linked single claim. Is he really suggesting to you that if Denon say 'no' to him for whatever reason, he's going to turn around and tell you 'no'?

Just imagine a situation if everything did link together. You buy a car which goes wrong, and you take it back to the dealer. the dealer takes it up with his supplier, who then takes it up with the part or parts manufacturer, who then takes it up with their supplier, who then takes it up with the raw materials supplier, who then finally takes it up with the guy on the factory floor who, say, screwed the bolt in. That guy says 'not my fault', so round it goes again?

Don't think so mate. :) Press gently, but press the issue of your rights if you're being made to feel at all insecure about this issue.

With regards to returning the other kit, did you get any sort of discount for buying them all together? If you did, then they were bought as a single package deal, which means they should be returned as a single package deal too.

Good luck :smashin:

18. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +832
    I think Kaotician is spot on here - don't let up on your quest for justice - it's your legal right, after all.

Cheers,

Martin.