Answered Hifi Building Help - Cables and Compatibility

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by hifi help008, Apr 24, 2016.

1. hifi help008

hifi help008
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I trying to construct a compact HIFI for my bedroom. I have now decided on some Q Acoustics 3010 bookshelf speakers (Q Acoustics: The best affordable speakers in the world!) and I am looking at a Cd player/Amplifier (Denon UD-M31). I need to know what cables to use with these components and what your thoughts are on these. I have a tight budget so I need to keep the costs down as much as possible. Any opinions/recommendations are welcome!
    Thanks,

Chris

2. Best Answer:
    Post #8 by Don Dadda, Apr 25, 2016 (1 points)
  3. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +719
    Hi

Since the ud m31 is a mini hifi and you won't need any other cable except for speaker cable, is it safe to say that's all you are after? Unless you are connecting another source to the ud m31.

You won't go far wrong with van damme 2.5mm blue studio speaker cable.

http://******.com/2-x-2-5-mm-1m-speaker-cable_QQ101918 £2.50 per meter

4. hifi help008

hifi help008
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    Thanks for that, it is only the speaker cable I need at the moment. I just needed the clarification on what kind of cable I needed, could you re-send the link as it didn't work? Also do you have any other suggestions on any other mini hifi units?
    Thanks,

5. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,957
    The UDM31 uses locking speaker connections rather than binding posts. So you may be better off with going with 1.5mm cable as 2.5mm might be a bit of a squeeze to get in the holes. Being that close together you don't want to risk stray strands touching.

[​IMG]

Any particular reason why you're going for something so old? It's a decent little unit but must be getting on for 15 years old now.

6. hifi help008

hifi help008
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    Thanks for the advice. I was purely looking at the ud m31 because I have had one in the past and know it to be good. I can get a good used one reasonably cheaply so that's why I considered this. However, it's not the most powerful amplifier and yes it is old so I would prefer something newer and better. Any good alternatives would be greatly appreciated!

7. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,957
    Depends on the budget!

But generally speaking the small size is going to limit the power output to much the same as the UDM31. So you could look at later DAB models in that range or if the budget will stretch to it, maybe a Marantz MCR-603. You could probably make quite a saving buying a unit with speakers rather than buying speakers new.

8. hifi help008

hifi help008
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I would like to not spend much more over £200. One things I have found is the Denon AVR-1905. I know this is for home cinema system but could I use it for a stereo? It's a lot more powerful than the other amplifiers so that's how I found it. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks.

9. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +719
    Best Answer
    Denon AVR-1905 - you could use it for stereo and lots of reasons why i wouldn't. It be a poor substitute IMO.
    AVR power specs are not always what they seem to be in real life. Some may say over exaggerated or misleading.

If you want stereo music, get a stereo /2 channel amp. If you want surround sound, get a AVR.

I agree with Croc and look at later models (yeah, those speaker connections do look a bit on the small side). I 2nd the mentioned Marantz MCR603 or a Denon DM38 or a DM40 which can be had for £179 -new, but you need to add speakers.

DENON DM40 DABBlack Mini System EXC Speakers.
    2.5mm cable will definitely fit the bindings on those :D.

The above mini hifi's and the QA 3010 will be around £300 mark - significantly more than the budget - but since you don't mind secondhand, a pair of Wharfedales diamond 9.1 speakers can be had for around £60-£70 of the bay or G\tree. I bought a pair last week for £60 of G\Tree in top dollar condition and a year old.
    This, although still over, is much closer to the budget 3and you will have a more 'current' setup which will have the option to be able to connect the TV, if that is a future or possible requirement.

Just seen this package.

Marantz M-CR603 Melody Media streamer/CD player & Pair of Monitor Audio Speakers

Just over budget and if you don't like the speakers, you can sell them on and get the ones you prefer

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  10. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,957
    Not sure how AVR + CDP = Compact? ;)

11. hifi help008

hifi help008
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice,I'll look into the options. I would ask though, will spending the extra really make much difference? Will there be a big difference in sound quality?
    Thanks.

12. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,957
    With the electronics, probably not. You'll mostly be gaining extra features & potentially shelf life. A newer unit should last longer than an older one but of course there's no guarantee. With the newer Denons you're really only gaining DAB whereas if you can stretch tot he Marantz you'd be gaining network playpack, Internet radio & possibly Bluetooth & Airplay (can't remember the exact specs of the MCR603).

13. hifi help008

hifi help008
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, I think I'll stick with a cheaper but more powerful Amplifier Denon (PMA-350SE) and Denon (DRA-F100) CD player.I think,these will give me the best blend between price and power. Thanks for all your help and recommendations.

14. L4dva

L4dva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have a Onkyo CR715DAB all in one unit which has been fantastic! I actually upgraded to a Cambridge audio amp recently and although there is a bit of improvement in sound I don’t feel overly blown over by the new amp… which tells me what I already had in the Onkyo was pretty damn good!

Spec wise its has a 50w amp which is pretty beefy, DAB, CD, it has large binding posts for speaker cables or banana plugs, optical input for TV or laptop, and all the other usual features. Its smaller sister the CR515DAB had great reviews at the time, and this particular unit was just its more expensive/higher power output brother.

Reason why I’m telling you this is because I may sell it on if I decide to keep the Cambridge audio amp. If the above sounds like something that may interest you drop me a message, happy for you to come and have a listen if you live anywhere near North London or Birmingham. I haven’t looked at the second hand resale value of it yet but I’m guessing they go for around £70 maybe?