1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hifi/all-in-one recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by call me al, Sep 6, 2005.

1. call me al

call me al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there folks
    I need help.
    I am looking to replace my old and weary Aiwa XR-H330MD with something a little classier.
    I was going to go down the separates route(other post) but after some investigation I can't find any I like or that suit my needs.
    I kinda ended up settling on the TEAC reference 300 mk2(if anyone has info on whether a woofer can be fitted) but don't know how much oomph(technical term) it has.
    So before I do some travelling to find somewhere to actually listen to it can anyone recommend any other great hi-fi or all-in-one solutions I should look at? It is primarily for bedroom use. Must have oomph(sorry getting technical again). Listened to denon dab35 through mission speakers and it sounded paper thin.
    Was looking to spend about 500 spondoolies. Maybe a bit more if beefier speakers are needed.
    If any more info is needed ask away.
    Thanks in advance for any info.

2. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    You could try the Denon with Tannoy Fusion 1 (£85 at Superfi) or 2 (£120), or Monitor Audio B1 (£135 at HiFiBitz) or B2 (£180 at HiFiBitz). They might sound a bit more substantial. Superfi also have the KEF Cresta 10 at £100.

3. call me al

call me al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey there thanks for reply
    Sorry if I gave the impression I was interested in the Denon, it was far too weak, 22w per channel isn't enough, thought the mission speakers would've helped but didn't. My existing system is 40 pc. Will have a look at the speakers you mentioned though :thumbsup: Would they fit OK with the teac?

Thanks

4. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    No reason why not. Try and listen to them before you buy, preferably on the TEAC. A consideration might be where you intend to position the speakers - the Tannoy Fusion are front ported, and therefore could go closer to a wall, as are the MA Bronze B2 (but avoid placing them in corners!). Don't forget stands, Atacama Nexus are about £60 - various heights are available to suit.

5. call me al

call me al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again GW :thumbsup:
    Don't know why I'm getting so little advice with this. Surely we all have a stereogramme? :cool:

Problematically no-one has a TEAc anywhere near where I live :( I know of a shop that should be getting some in so when/if they do I'll testdrive aplenty!
    Speaker size isn't really an issue as the ones I have at the moment are HUGE!
    The speakers on my system come with built in subwoofers so I need a punchy, well-bodied speaker. Don't get me wrong I realise the quality from my system will be poorer because of this, but it does have presence. So that must be replicated.
    I am liking the look of the tannoy fusion m2s, though they still look a little bijou. Am sure they are quality but so were the £200 missions I heard the other day and they were a bit mid-high rangey.
    It's all in the listening though. Have a day or 2 off next week to wander around a few shops.
    Ta again.

6. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Lack of response is probably down to the fact that most forum members have seperate systems. To be honest I dont think you will get the ooomph you are looking for from an all in one at that price. If size is important then Linn do one and Arcam have one as well but are all more expensive. That said more money spent now will likely bring more satisfaction and work out cheaper in the long run.

Dont get caught up in Watts per channel as its no indicator of performance. There is plenty of advice on the form regards this.

7. call me al

call me al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply pwood
    I hear your point regarding oomph(although my generic systems manages it), the teac is all-in-one it has 3 separate components:DAB CD and amp. I think it might work with big chunkola speakers.
    Unless anyone can suggest separates with sleep/timer functions then I'm looking at some kind of all in one. Silly I know but there you go.
    If I need to spend a little more I don't mind, music is very important in my everyday life. If it's worth the cash and does what I need it to do I'd go up a few hundred or even save more.
    I know it's all down to the individual and listening to the blighters set up but I'm just looking for general guidance.
    Any suggestions are welcome. :)

8. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
  9. call me al

call me al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again
    Managed to demo the TEAC ref 300 mk2 with the teac LS250 speakers. Has plenty of OOMPH :clap: but I reckon the speakers could be improved :eek: . Sadly I won't be able to test drive other speakers on the system as it's from JohnLewis. Also managed to listen to and compare with the Onkyo and Denon so thanks for that info :)
    So that is the system I am after and I can get it for around £370. :thumbsup:
    So I have around £200 to spend on speakers and connects. More if needed.
    SO am thinking Tannoy fusion 2, Mordaunt Short 902s, wharfedale diamond 9.1's or maybe even a floorstanding set. May as well if I get the speaker stands, both will leave the same footprint. Are Tannoy still th epinnacle of speakers?
    I wonder if I should start a new thread in the speakers section.
    Thanks again guys for your advice

10. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Speakers are the hardest thing for anyone to recommend as they are influenced so much by the room they are situated in that a home trial really should be considered as essential once you have a shortlist of 2/3 sets. Most decent hifi shops will allow this ( credit card swipe is usually sufficiant) for sure they may charge more for the speakers but then buying the wrong ones would be a false economy IMHO.
    Allow enough dosh for quality interconects and speaker cable.

11. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You could try one of the Yamaha Piano Craft systems.

I got the E400 one just over a year ago and can't complain about the quality. From memory it's 40WPC and the speakers look very classy in the glossy black. They did sound a little agressive at first but once run in they're very good with quite a tight bass.

The MD and cassette options I got for it are first class.

Think this system's been replaced by the E600 which has DVD instead of CD section.

I looked at the TEAC and Dennon stuff and although thought they were excellent this one fulfilled everything I was looking for.

Also looks good with my Biostar shuttle PC stacked under it :smashin:

In all I think they Yamaha micro's are very overlooked.

12. call me al

call me al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there
    The speakers will be tricky. Richer sounds is the only dealer nearby that I know would let me try them at home and they don't have wharfedale or tannoys :thumbsdown:
    The yamaha system looks OK but the TEAC comes with the DAB which is going to be standard soon so would want that.
    Those shuttle PC's are nice. On a kinda related slant, what sound card do you use and what cables to connect to your yamaha?

Thanks

13. nealb

nealb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would have thought there'll be more with DAB soon, loads of cheeper ones already.

Pity Sony and Technics stoped doing their higher end micro component systems. Sure they would have been of interest as they were always very good.

Regards the Biostar shuttle PC.
    At the moment I use the internal c-media and not too hot interconnects. Hardly audiophile quality but sounds quite good and having all those MP3's and broadband internet radio stations at hand is fantastic and great for partys. It does run almost silent. Highly recomended addition to any micro if you ask me.

14. call me al

call me al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI again
    RE Speakers: Is down to either Wharfedale diamond 9.1's or Mordaunt Short 902's. Any opinions?
    RE connecting to PC: I just use the onboard sound and basic connects so was looking for advice on better connects and soundcard. I think soundcard-wise it will be Audigy 2 or M-Audio 2496. Again any opinions?
    The biostar is a nice wee piece of kit :thumbsup: but I just use my main PC as media thingy.

Thanks

15. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I've read excellent reviews of the Wharfedale speakers, but the best bet would be to demo them both, or better still, get a pair of each on loan if you can, take them home and see which you prefer with your system in your room.

Generally, M-Audio make the better sounding soundcards for stereo music.