• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

"Hiding" wires without building work

topperdoggle

My parents are about to move house, and I'm going to build them a couple of HTPCs with MythTV. There's CAT-5 throughout which is great, but I'd like some guidance on the wiring for the surround speakers.

They won't have a dedicated home-cinema room, so my attempts to get them to go for bookshelf speakers at the front have been shot down. ;) We'll go for a satellite / sub system, probably the Mordaunt Short Alumni or the Kef 2005.3.

In particular, mother is especially conscious about too many wires being on show. I don't think this will be a problem for the TV, HTPC, receiver etc, as I can cable-tie the wires reasonably neatly (although the stand is glass).

The real problem will be the surround speakers. The setup will be the TV and stand in the corner of the room, and the couches facing it in an L-shape. The rear surround speakers will be behind the couches. This means that at some point, the cable will have to cross floor, even if it goes around the perimeter of the room as much as possible.

I'm just wondering what interesting solutions people have come up with for this situation - it must be common. Rugs? Special "invisible" cables? Some aesthetically-pleasing floor-trunking-thing?

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

topperdoggle

Certainly an interesting option - thank you for the input. It will help with cable running around the perimeter as well as the floor. The floor is stone, not wood or carpet, but it should be feasible to get some white trunking and paint it stone-colour.

velvitjester

My parents are about to move house, and I'm going to build them a couple of HTPCs with MythTV. There's CAT-5 throughout which is great, but I'd like some guidance on the wiring for the surround speakers.

They won't have a dedicated home-cinema room, so my attempts to get them to go for bookshelf speakers at the front have been shot down. ;) We'll go for a satellite / sub system, probably the Mordaunt Short Alumni or the Kef 2005.3.

In particular, mother is especially conscious about too many wires being on show. I don't think this will be a problem for the TV, HTPC, receiver etc, as I can cable-tie the wires reasonably neatly (although the stand is glass).

The real problem will be the surround speakers. The setup will be the TV and stand in the corner of the room, and the couches facing it in an L-shape. The rear surround speakers will be behind the couches. This means that at some point, the cable will have to cross floor, even if it goes around the perimeter of the room as much as possible.

I'm just wondering what interesting solutions people have come up with for this situation - it must be common. Rugs? Special "invisible" cables? Some aesthetically-pleasing floor-trunking-thing?

:thumbsup:

I would put it under the edge of the carpet if you have carpet,took me 1 hour the other night.

If they dont have carpet then rip off the skirting and put it behind and then chissel up the wall.
I never understand these half assed methods,no offence.

It will look terrible unless they are hidden correctly and presumably it will be a once off job,which could be done cheaply and quickly.

my 2cents.

topperdoggle

I see where you're coming from, but it's a stone floor, no carpet. And it's a new build, and they aren't keen to have the "perfect" finish messed around with, which I can understand. For example, the TV will go on a stand, not the wall, at least until they are 100% sure that it's in the best place. ;) Or maybe they'll want to move the couches (and the surround speakers) around.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
For example, the TV will go on a stand, not the wall, at least until they are 100% sure that it's in the best place. ;) Or maybe they'll want to move the couches (and the surround speakers) around.

Good points, if they are just moving it, best do a quick and easy job because what they want now, might change once they've lived in it for a while....

velvitjester

I see where you're coming from, but it's a stone floor, no carpet. And it's a new build, and they aren't keen to have the "perfect" finish messed around with, which I can understand. For example, the TV will go on a stand, not the wall, at least until they are 100% sure that it's in the best place. ;) Or maybe they'll want to move the couches (and the surround speakers) around.

You could always try this,I presume you run it just above the skirting board.

How To Install Flat Speaker Cable

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom