1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hiding wires / skirtings

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by adi, Mar 28, 2003.

1. adi

adi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my living room has an asphalt floor, so - short of moving all the furniture out, ripping up the carpet and cutting chases in the ashalt for the wires - the speaker wires currently run round the edge of the room against the skirting board

this causes several problems -
    1 - excessive cable lengths
    2 - carpet not fixed down properly at edges
    3 - wife whinging about wires poking out etc

i'll be redecorating sometime this year and wil be putting laminate flooring down, so i'll be able to run some wires direct then, but i was wondering if anyone manufactured something like "removable" or "clip-on skirting" - something with a cavity behind so wires can be hidden

adi

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    There should be plenty of info in the DIy section on removeable skirting.

There are a couple of options here:

Plastic skirting from someone like MK (the guys who make the mains plugs etc)

Or

Make your own wooden box skirting. Look much better if you do this, as you can choose a nice finish.

When you get the floor done, it'll be worth running some conduit into channels in the floor.

3. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    id replace the skirting boards with something like this
    [​IMG]
    avalible from people like marshall tufflex,ega tube and walsall conduits
    3 compartments to keep mains away from low and high level signals,electrical outlet boxes can be fitted anywere without to much proplem,if you wire a ring around the room you could tap into it anywear,fairly easy to work with especially if you use pre made bends,if your putting laminated flooring down i belive your ment to take out the skirting board anyway.olny down side is the cost