Question Hiding TV cables in wall which is already wallpapered

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by emptycup, Apr 22, 2018.

1. emptycup

emptycup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all,

I am thinking of wall mounting my TV but have a small problem. The wall it needs to go on is about to be wallpapered by a decorator. In my previous house to hide cables I essentially made two holes in the wall which had brush plates on them and were largely hidden by TV and furniture.

However, that was on a painted wall which could be touched up. Is it a terrible idea to try and do this on a wall which has been wallpapered? The TV mounting aspect probably has to be done afterwards but it is the cable channelling that worries me.

Don’t know why I didn’t think of this problem beforehand and I am now in massive trouble with my wife.....to the point that I am tempted to instead make a wooden addon shelf onto the cheap Ikea unit to rest the TV on instead.

2. dr no

dr no

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,606
    There shouldn’t be much difference to a painted wall or wallpapered wall.
    The brush plates would cover the holes in the wall. And if nothing else the brush plates themselves would hide behind the TV and likely some furniture at the bottom.

3. emptycup

emptycup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Fingers crossed....might cost me my marriage if not. I am just worried that we would create the hole and realise something was blocking the route down that would require a further hole at the midpoint to sort out.

4. poppasmurf

poppasmurf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My son recently did this with his TV. He found out the wall was constructed with plasterboard on a wooden frame, and he was able to make one hole behind the TV and another above the skirting board and fed the cables from top to bottom, and hey presto, hidden cables.

5. emptycup

emptycup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Aye. That’s the plan. It was more that I wasn’t looking forward to doing it on freshly wallpapered wall. I’ve delayed the wallpapering for now anyway until I’ve got the holes in place.

6. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    Would you not want to cut a channel and put in a channel/trunking, then re-plaster over the top to cover it? If so, you definitely want to do this pre-wallpapering!

7. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    Very carefully cut paper with a suitable sharp curved blade that wont snag at the paper (modelling scalpel type blades can be good). Use steam iron if required to get it off in one piece. Hack wall to hearts content, fill and plaster over and carefully replace the paper. Seam should not be visible if done right.

8. thunder367

thunder367

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ive got same problem block its solid block so not so easy to cut out.so when my new unit is made for all my gear my pal will make 2 pieces of slim wood feed the cables between them and then place a piece of wood over top same type so it matchs the unit where my units are.