Hiding speaker wire in wall

Flashgordon1982

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I’m wanting to wall mound my rear surround speakers. It’s going to mean chiselling or cutting into plaster board then having it skimmed
Does anyone have any tips or tool recommendations? I’m shite at DIY. Thanks

Hi
I’m wanting to wall mound my rear surround speakers. It’s going to mean chiselling or cutting into plaster board then having it skimmed
Does anyone have any tips or tool recommendations? I’m sh*te at DIY. Thanks

If you have access to the floor or ceiling, you can win half the battle by running cables that way and only chisel up or down to a speaker terminal wall plate.

Use trunking as much as you can and oversize the trunking to allow for new shiny cables to be pulled through in future.

if you want to minimise the cutting into your main walls...do it in the corners...then run along behind skirting board...or even along the top
to save the mess and work...you can get decent corner trunking now....i used some before ..once fitted and painted you wouldnt really notice it's there.

dont know how high your rears plan to be...could even use the flat speaker cable you can get and lay under the carpets...then up in the corners ?

though it might not look it it's a very messy dirty job...no matter how careful you are dust will go everywhere

Hi
Does anyone have any tips or tool recommendations? I’m sh*te at DIY. Thanks

I bought this tool to 'run' my electrical cables in the walls. Before I bought my home, it had recently been rewired and the sparky and/or homeowner took the quickest and easiest route of dropping all cables out in front of the wall and 'run' them in trunking that was stuck to the wall with adhesive. It looked ghastly.

So, I bought this tool:

It's basically a mini circular saw, come with all 3 types of blades for cutting types (metal, masonry and wood) and runs on a normal 230v household plug.

What you do is put the diamond blade on (masonry), adjust the guide (which is the flat plate to keep you flat and level) to the depth that you require and then you're good to go. You put the saw up against the wall, turn on and gently 'plunge' the saw into the wall and go FORWARDS and UP.

The next thing you'll want is an SDS drill with correct width chisel or doing it manually with a club hammer and bolster chisel (this can be hard graft depending on your bricks). Doing it manually, you may want to run the saw through the middle of the section that you're intending to chisel out since it will make it a lot easier to chisel the bricks out.

I should point out.... this is and extremely dusty procedure!! Not only MUST you wear a dust mask and eye protection but remove everything you can from the room and thoroughly cover everything that you can't remove. Shut any door leading into the room as dust will make it's way out.

One thing you can do to drastically reduce this is have a helper with a vacuum on near the underside of the saw to catch a lot of that dust (max extension on the pole of the vacuum to keep their distance).

run cables along top of skirtings, make a small hole at skirting board level vertical below the hole you wish the cable to come out from to wall mount the speakers. and use electrical rods to push the cables behind the wall from skirting board level to wall mounted level.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom