Hiding speaker wire -Advice required!

Paulando

Hello!

Because the place I'm living in at the moment is a sort of open-plan flat type thing, it's left me in a bit of a difficult spot with wiring up the rear speakers I have. The sofa is kind of in the middle of the floor, and there's a gap of a few foot, and there's the bed.

I can't run the speaker wire under the carpet or anything because it's a rented place (it's a student place, actually), so I was thinking of running the speaker wire around and under the bed, and then running it along the floor from the bed to the rear speaker stands using something like this:

Of course, it's a temporary solution until we move out and get a proper place, and it's far from elegant, but would it work alright? ScrewFix is the only place I could find it for sale by searching for 'cable cover', but it's over £22 for 3m of the stuff, plus another fiver for delivery, and the stuff they sell seems really big - it's 8cm wide. Does it have a proper name other than 'cable cover', so I can do a Google Shopping search or something, or does anyone know where I can buy it cheaper, or find something a bit smaller and slightly more inconspicuous?

Finally, is there a better solution out there? :D

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ChrisAV

Novice Member
Or if you have a continuous run on the skirting board you could use self adhesive flat speaker cables (IXOS XHS223) which is what I'm using in my rented flat with lamiante floors. Seems like it is going to peel off OK at the moment.

Chris

Paulando

Heh, I was already planning on running it around the skirting board, which is how it wil end up behind the bed :) The problem is, the side of the sofa is about 5' away from the wall, so I'd have to run it across the floor either way!

... Or do you mean running that across the floor?

Last edited:

Paulando

Re: a rug.

Yeah, that's another option! It'd probably be quite a bit more expensive though, and might look straight just slapped behind the sofa... I'll have a look though, a very good suggestion! It would definitely look better if I can find something right :smashin:

ChrisAV

Novice Member
Heh, I was already planning on running it around the skirting board, which is how it wil end up behind the bed :) The problem is, the side of the sofa is about 5' away from the wall, so I'd have to run it across the floor either way!

... Or do you mean running that across the floor?
No, but it could work - it's only about 1 to 2mm and fairly sticky, would be better than loose cables anyway.

Chris

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Sorry about using USA links but I think this is what you are looking for. It can be found in office supply stores, in home building, remodeling, and general supply stores, and probably down at your local hardware store.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...+500158+90401&marketID=90401&locStoreNum=8125

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...+500158+90401&marketID=90401&locStoreNum=8125

I found it by searching 'electrical conduit' at a building supply store.

As you can see in this case, it is referred to as 'overfloor cord protector' or by the trade name 'Corduct'.

Perhaps that will help you search out the equivalent in the UK.

They also make assorted typed of plastic conduit for running low voltage wires along the baseboard or skirting board. A sample of which can be seen here -

I don't know if you have 'Ace Hardware' in the UK, but this came up on a Google search that I limited to the UK -

Ace - Ace Tree: Electrical: Wire, Connectors & Fasteners: Wire Carry Systems: Floor Wire Carry: Wiremold On-Floor Cord Protector

Again, another place in the US, but it might help you come up with typical names for such a product that could help you search it out -

Electriduct - Cable protectors, Cord Covers and Wire Management products

Note 'Electriduct' is both this company's name, but also the brand name of their own 'cord covers', 'cord protectors', 'cable protectors', etc...

Another trade name 'Flexiduct'. Also, 'Corduct'.

The brand name of the products in the USA Home Depot links is 'Wiremold'.

These product are also frequently used by professional musicians and DJs, so Pro music stores might also be another source of the products.

Hopefully, there is something you can use here.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom