1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiding Speaker Cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Just_Dabbling, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Just_Dabbling

Just_Dabbling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading through lots and lots of old threads (it has been quite interesting) but I cannot seem to find anything talking about hiding speaker cables.

I have a pair of Accoustic Energy Compact speakers, I do have them on stands but we've just had a littl'un and my wife is a little worried about little hands so I'm gonna have to put them on the wall.

I have purchesed a set of brackets to put them up with (the AE ones) but I am a little unsure what to do with the cables (thats part of the reason I had the stands in the first place).

Does anybody have any ideas, and if they do, maybe some practical tips.

We have not long decorated the room so I would rather not make too much mess if I can avoid it.

P.S. I already have coving up in the room, it was there when I bought the house, I don't really wanna move it.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

2. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends how thick your cable is.I,ve gone for a flat speaker cable,there are plenty available.I,ve run mine discretely along up the corners of the room, held up with small pieces of blu-tack.Same can be done with speaker stands......Job done!!:D

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,085
    If your cable is thin/flat and your speakers are near the corners of the room you can use 1" masking tape to seal them into the corners. Then give the tape a coat of the emulsion you used on the walls and they're pretty much invisible without gouging into the plaster. Don't know what kids might do to the tape mind!

4. Sozzled

Sozzled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to www.standsunique.com and look at their mini skirting in the practical cable management section.

5. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    but :eek: !!!! £19.99 for 6m!!! :(

Dave

6. Just_Dabbling

Just_Dabbling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats Cool, thanks very much for the replies.

I will try and get myself down to the local store and check out some flat speaker cable, see what I can do with that.

Other than that, I already have some conduit around the room to take all of the cables for everything. My amp is in the middle of the room.

Has anyone ever tried to drop speaker cables down through cavitys and things, I've done it upstairs to downstairs for my telephone, but never in the same room ?

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,003
    Do you have a solid floor or a wooden one, if the latter can you get under them and run you lengths under the floor.

8. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Beyond HiFi do a flat speaker cable with self adhesive back - Acoustic Research I think. Hell of a lot cheaper than from other places.
    Very thin and can be painted over - the idea of masking tape over it too is a good 'un.

9. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I cut slots in my underlay just big enough for my cables. They were visible for a couple of weeks but once they bedded down, they disappeared. I've not had any trouble with them being trodden on.

D.

10. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    just be carefull if the cable run is in a high traffic area ( over a door threshold) it could end up breaking the backing on the carpet and you would end up with a line visable from the top.

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought some cable trunking (available at DIY shop or Office shop (I think?) such as Staples) which goes above the "rim" (that's the best word I can use to describe it - being not much of a DIY addict) which is about 3/4 way up the wall, across my room to the rear speakers.

This might help,

-TF

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've got painted walls rather than wallpaper you can either cut a channel in the plaster, lay the cable in that and filler ove rth top - use a corner as it's easier to fill without being seen then repaint just the fille rbit.

Or get sone plastic bath coving

|
    \
    \
    \_

shape (only it's 45 degrees) stick it in the corner and paint it. you then can run the cable up that and looks better than square trunking.

Neil.