1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hiding speaker cable.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mike_cummi, Jun 6, 2005.

1. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not strictly a question about cables but more how to conceal them. I'm going to shelf mount a pair of AE Evo 1s and will be making my own simple shelves out of heavy duty brackets and 20mm MDF. The speakers will probably be mounted about 6 feet off the floor either side of my TV and I don't really want to have cables dangling around between the speakers and the floor.

I don't want to rout channels in the wall and plaster over them as have just finished redecorating the room. I also don't really want to use trunking as i think it would just look naff, even if painted to match my walls.

So, i've been wondering if there is a really cool way to conceal cables, perhaps making a feature of it rather than just obviously trying to hide it.

Any ideas?

2. Dwayne Dibley

Dwayne Dibley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    hi Mike,

one solution, that I've used in the past is to place the speakers in the corner of the room, with the cable running up the corner of the wall. Then carefully glue a length of wooden beading (from B&Q) over the wire. Once painted it is almost invisible (could be a problem if you have wallpaper tho)

good luck.

3. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Would it be any less irritating if you went up and through the roof?

4. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    trunking is very cheap and a doddle to put up. It can be painted/papered later if you want.

5. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    When I did this, I just drilled an 8mm hole in the wall, dropped the cable down to skirting level where I drilled a bigger hole, fished the cable out, then filled in both holes and touched it all up. Looks fantastic, but actually took me about a day of cursing at the thing...

Also only works if you have plasterboard walls, not solid ones!

6. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your feedback guys. If I had plasterboard walls then that would be ideal but I live in an old property with very solid walls.

I really want to keep drilling and so on to a minimum and was thinking more along the lines of making a decorative feature. Also, I think trunking looks a bit naff and am after something more decorative.

I'm going to have more of a think about it and may cobble something together out of old washing up liquid bottles or something.

Thanks again,

Mike.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    In the past you could buy speaker cable that was very flat. It was about an inch wide, but only a couple of mm thick, for laying under carpets. Don't know if you can still get it.