1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiding Projector in ceiling

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by snelly, Aug 15, 2002.

1. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just asking for opinions (and experience if anyone has tried) about the practicality of mounting a pj in such a way so that it may be concealed in the ceiling cavity when not in use and lowered down quickly to be used.

I want pj permanently mounted an d on ceiling *but* due to pj throw, room dimensions and fittings the damn thing would be in exact line of site on entering the room (the lounge!) if on something like a gyrolock or homemade version.

So the ideal soultion I can think of is an automated or manual platform that drops down to correct height and can be concealed in the ceiling space - this also means cabling can be hidden well.

As it will be an lcd pj I am not too worried if the setup needs occasional tweaks.

Interested in any opinions at all

Tim

2. Zef

Zef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Few diy ramblings....

I did see a thing on TV using two car boot rams to hold up a ladder to a cieling of a house i thought that was a nifty idea, but this needed a pivot point rather than an up and down action.

motorised system would need quite a large construction to hold it all, kind of like a lift shaft that goes down. I think it would need a strong metal frame involved to lower the PJ down on the platform
    Im thinking motorised wheelchair motor to power a belt/chain

the other thing was a car jack. preferably a bottle type one, but its the operation of the thing.....

I dont think that really helped but it adds some food for thought

Cheers
    Zef

3. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks,

I though about the motor / hydraulic / pneumatic options but think that they are more trouble than worth.

There is no great weight involved < 5kg I should think.

I reckon that either a vertical up/down shaft with some sort of catch and stop, or a pivot that lets the pj swing down on a platform. The platform can be articulate with a four bar link or something so it ends up parallel to the ceiling!

There are quite a few catch type things used for kitchen cupboards, loft trapdoor etc. What I dont want to do is end up with a bloody great hole in the ceiling and the pj ending up on the table coz it is all too hard.

4. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    The gyrolock could be made to work in that fashion due to top and bottom pivot points.

Be a bit more adventurous and use an electric window motor from a scrap yard to raise and lower it.

I dont think it would be beyond most diy skills.

Would attempt it myself but can't due to beam in the way, would have to move the pj and screen another foot to left which i'm not gonna do. I will be happy with it tucked up against the ceiling when not in use.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    The alternative is to keep it in ceiling void all the time. Point it in opposite direction from screen and use a couple of mirrors to fire image at screen.

So when you want to use it you drop the hatch and lock secondary mirror in place...voila!

Gordon

6. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmm nice idea, but I am worried about the increased risk of overheating in such a confined space - there is not that much clearance (I think the timber is 8").

That might be a goer then. The only downside to this is that the hole may have to be larger to accomodate the full length of the pivoting gyrolock.
    You've not seen my house! I will think about the motor idea, but I don't want this sub project to waste too much time!

Luckily my beams run the other way (though it will make it harder to run cables!!!)

Cheers guys - I think I will try it just for the challenge - especially if no one else round here has had a go yet.

Tim

7. CSGardner

CSGardner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Snelly,
    Did you get anywhere with this project? .. I ask, as I have 'drawn up' a very similar plan myself. However, I'm struggling to find a source for the 4 'hanging rods' (which would allow the PJ to swing down sideways, but always horizontal, from the ceiling void.
    If you found suppliers for such things, I'd be greatful for the details.

Thanks for any info,
    Chas