1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiding Plasma Display Cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by GWalmsley, Nov 20, 2002.

1. GWalmsley

GWalmsley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have finally got around to wall mounting my Plasma but now I have a cabling problem.

When you look at all the nice Plasma adverts where they are shown wall mounted they don't show any cables but I can't see where they hide them (other than with an air brush).

I currently have three cables trailing down the wall (Power, Component Video and RGB) to my AV cabinet and I would like to tidy them up.

I have been looking at just encasing them all in one plastic tube but it still looks a bit naff.

Short of building another wall 2 inches in front of my current one so I can run the cables between them does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Graham

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    You could always 'rout' a channel into your wall but most people wouldn't. What sort of wall is it ?

Mike.

3. GWalmsley

GWalmsley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    External brick wall.

I have thought about using an SDS hammer drill to chisel out a channel in the wall then inserting some form of trunking but all the trunking I can find is white and ugly, worse than the cable problem.

Graham

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's breeze blocks, you should be able to chop a channel a couple inches deep and install some kind of trunking which can then be plastered over. I have done this in places and used 1.5"plastic pipe (water?) with some success. One tip is to slope the tube out slightly at the top to ease sliding the cables in.

Steve

5. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If its an external brick wall just drop them down the cavity , this is how i did mine , very simple and no replastering.

6. GWalmsley

GWalmsley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Installer09,

How did you do this?
    I'm guessing you drilled a hole in the wall behind the plasma big enough to put the cables through and then another directly below it to get them out again? Did you block the holes up again with anything?

Did you have any problems fishing them out again or cables catching on tie bars?

Thanks

Graham

7. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats exactly what i did , i also ran all my speaker cables and aerial and sat cables down the cavity. I finished the holes of by fitting a double back box in the wall , and then drilling a hole in a blank face plate for all the cables to come through. I also did the centre speaker the same.

Attached Files:

8. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should add , ive done lots of similar work for customers , and the only time feeding cables along/down cavitys is when they have wall insulation. If it is the spray in foam type it makes it very tricky.

9. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not my idea but somebody had used a couple of metal curtain poles, cut a secion out put the cables in and then attached them to the wall. He used two and spaced them apart so it had the appearance of being a stand for the plasma. Quite a clever idea I thought.

10. GWalmsley

GWalmsley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the advise, I will have to investigate the cavity now.

Graham

11. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Ditto that, and at home also (minus the PDP). Makes everything much tidier and only take a one day at the weekend.

I've got that injected cavity wall stuff at home. I found using the fibreglass push/pull rods worked best for feeding the cables through.

12. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a special electricians tool ( a coil of very thin flexible steel) which is quite good , i also use the lid off mini trunking which is excelent.

13. GWalmsley

GWalmsley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have drilled a couple of exploratory holes and the dust coming out is grey so I am guessing it will be breeze block.

The wall the plasma is mounted on was the outside of an outside wall before the house was extended (the lounge is in the extension) and appears to be around 15" thick including the plaster on both sides.

Any experienced builders out there who would hazard a guess? The extension was built around 1986 and I moved in in 1999.

Graham

14. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will probably be a 11" cavity if it is of a standard construction, breeze blocks are usually only used on the internal skin , it shouldnt matter though what the wall construction is if your going to run the cables down the cavity.

15. bennyk

bennyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Like the idea of dropping down a cavity - the wall I want to mount my plasma on is the chimney breast. How would this work?

Also, has anyone managed to run a scart cable through or are Scart cables not a preferred way of cabling?
    Thanks