Hiding Plasma Cables

O

OGIII

After messing around deciding on the Plasma I've eventually decided and ordered (well as good as, just waiting for MAW to call me to get card details).

I'm mounting the unit on an outside wall constructed of brick, concrete block and plaster.

The AV equipment is going to be appx 4m from the plasma.

Only cables going to plasma will be Component and Power.

I'd very much appreciate views/comments on the two options I've considered below please.

1. Drill hole all the way through the wall similar to what Taz did in his flat Taz has a friendly landlord. Then run cable inside some narrow plumbing waste pipe - like you'd have for you washing machine or overflow. this would make it water tight - along the side of the house. That side of the house isn't on show to the world so asthetics not a problem and even so it would look like a waste water pipe from a sink or something. Can hire a diamond core drill for £40 so shouldn't be a major job (famous last words).

2. Channel out 4m and re-decorate. Walls have lining paper on which has been overpainted. My fears with this are
a. Just had the house decorated, so could be agro from wife
b. You would be able to see the channel if the finish isn't spot on.

Cheers
OG

Originally posted by Elvis
Does option 1 mean the cable runs outside the house? in a pipe?

It does.

Cables would be enclosed all the time within the pipe and standard plumbing fittings.

A benefit of this is that I could change cables easily if needed.

That sounds crazy to me! what if some ne'er-do-well outside pulls on it?

If I were you I would channel through the wall and get a professional decorator in if you're concerned about the finish. If it's carefully done there is no reason why it should be visible, particularly if it is behind wall paper and is properly plastered. Surely your wife will not mind if the end result is 'invisible'.

Thanks for your quick feedback Elvis.

The house is detached in it's own bordered land so it's not like some passer-by could or would get at it and the cables themselves couldn't be seen they will be within the pipes so it's not like anybody would want to mess with them in the same way as they wouldn't mess with your drainpipe. Likewise there are SKY+ and NTL cables all down that wall that would be much more appealing to play with.

I did think about getting the decorator back but we've had major works going on at the house for the last 7 months, now they're finnished Mrs OG is dead against any more hairy ar5ed builders roaming the house hence the do it yourself.

If I am mad and do channel out the wall what's the best way to do it, I seem to remember a post saying something about angle grinders and SDS drills with chisel attachments......

Cheers
OG

This is the piping I was thinking of using (only in brown so it doesn't), it has bends and everything so fully enclosed through the wall and everywhere.

I thought this was a cunning plan but am I mad?

Why don't you remove skirting board and then either chisel out plaster to make room for cables or cut channel in back of skirting(if thick enough) or remount skirting on battens to give room for cables.Then you only have to worry about short section of cable upto plasma which you could hide with a plant or something. Hey presto no redecorating work once skirting is put back.

I assisted my mate in setting up his plasma. He had the same situation as you, outside brick wall etc, so we drilled right through the wall put the cables out then drilled another hole through to the basement. It is the same wall as his Sky dish is on so another couple of cables showing is no great problem, holes were then sealed with some silicon.

It was component cables that was going through the wall so it had to be a diamond tipped hole cutter rather than a drill we used, probably about an inch across. End result was little disruption inside and a happy wife,

Originally posted by Thrash
I assisted my mate in setting up his plasma. He had the same situation as you, outside brick wall etc, so we drilled right through the wall put the cables out then drilled another hole through to the basement. It is the same wall as his Sky dish is on so another couple of cables showing is no great problem, holes were then sealed with some silicon.

It was component cables that was going through the wall so it had to be a diamond tipped hole cutter rather than a drill we used, probably about an inch across. End result was little disruption inside and a happy wife,

Thanks Thrash - that's just what I wanted to hear.

Originally posted by deancheesman
Why don't you remove skirting board and then either chisel out plaster to make room for cables or cut channel in back of skirting(if thick enough) or remount skirting on battens to give room for cables.Then you only have to worry about short section of cable upto plasma which you could hide with a plant or something. Hey presto no redecorating work once skirting is put back.

Good idea but you'd still see the line from the screen to the skirting if it's not a perfect finish. Walls are plain and light coloured and there's pretty much nothing but a mirror (to be replaced with plasma) and small hole in wall fire with stainless steel surround so it could be obvious unless re-decorated the whole wall. Thanks for suggestion though.

Originally posted by Joe Fernand
OG111

Option 03. Sounds best to me!

Joe

You mean Dean's suggestion?

I'd probably agree other than the re-decorating - if only it hadn't just been done!

Thanks for the post Joe

For my Plasma (Still to Come) I have had 2.5" deep x 4" wide x 1 metre high hole chased out within the brick wall.

Within the chase a lip was created to accept some plaster board then the whole wall was skimmed.

This was done when the whole house was re-wired and re-skimmed.

When the plasma arrives, I will have to drill two holes out (Top and bottom) for the wires, then feed it through with some draw string.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom