1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiding cables when wall fitting?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by wdrury_uk, Jan 6, 2005.

1. wdrury_uk

wdrury_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You always see the picture of the LCD / Plasma on a wall but where are the cables to the RF / DVD / Sky / etc?

Can someone explain hows this is done? I assume it through channelling the walls out and running cables. But does that mean I have to channel a new power point behind the LCD?

Any help much appreciated.

2. gazza166

gazza166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    As you say, it's more than likely channelling out the walls then replastering. I used some electrical trunking on mine which is not really noticeable but then it's in the corner and I've got white walls.

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The pics will often be 'staged' with products but no wires and pics 'pasted on'. Or the screens may be on thin partitioning to hide everthing.
    Look for the giveaway in the small print "Illustration for guidance purposes only" or similar.

As for channeling out the wall - rotten job - and suppose you want to add or change a connection? You can get rectangular trunking in various sizes, which is 'U' shaped with a clip on cover and can be painted. Most DIY stores have iit and it looks tidy fitted on the surface of the wall.

It may now be illegal to fit the power point you describe yourself. New regs came in Jan 1st about DIY electrical work. I think a simple spur may be OK though.

For disappearing wires, look at any pic of a surround sound system - 6 speakers, amp, DVD player, CD player, VCR, TV, sat box - not a wire in sight - oh, and one titchy remote :D

4. gazza166

gazza166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I think you're right - the new regs are similar to Corgi regs for gas installations. Thing is though they are impossible to enforce; unless you annoy the wife enough to ring up the Police or whoever and say 'I'd like to report my husband for fitting a 240v socket to our lounge :eek: ' it's just not going to happen.

5. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    Have a look at the Plasmas out thread .Lots of real life set ups ,"without" wires. Just like mine :D :cool:

6. softg1

softg1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh! I'd better stop annoying the wife.

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  8. cb31

cb31
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That setup looks awful to my eye. Thousands of pounds on a TV and then 2.99 on a bit of trunking running down the wall...

I cut out 2 channels and plastered over them, one for power and one for data cables. There are holes behind the TV with enough room in the channels to put in new and remove existing cables. Added a new power cable the other night for a mood light and it worked well. A lot more effort but looks stunning.