Hiding cables in wall without burying them permanently

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by madprofessor, Feb 11, 2009.

1. madprofessor

madprofessor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

We're in the process of redecorating our living room and ultimately plan to get a flat screen TV on the wall and another projector. However, we don't have these things at present (won't be able to afford them for a while). Our existing projector is now broken and not going to be used again.

We don't want to go as far as some people on here go but it would be nice to have the TV on the wall without seeing loads of cables everywhere. The wall is an outside brick wall and the floor is concrete so that limits our options a bit.

One thing I have thought of doing is to cut a vertical channel into the wall into which I can later feed HDMI, SCART etc cables. This of course means that the channel has to be a few inches wide to allow a SCART plug to be fished through.

The main sticking point is how to 'terminate' the channel nicely rather than just having holes in the wall with cables spewing out of them. I had wonderd whether it was possible to get something that'd be a bit like an electrical socket blanking plate but with what looks like a mini letterbox with draught excluder? The cables could feed through this and then poke out without there being an unsightly hole.

I'd prefer not to go to the lengths of building false walls etc and even if I did, I'd still be left with the same problem.

We can solve part of the problem by having one hole behind where the TV will go so that it won't be seen. However, I'm going to need another exit at the top of the wall for cable feeds to the projector and something at floor level for the cables to enter into.

I've had a browse around on this forum for ideas but mainly come across whole room conversions with false walls etc.

What do other people do?

2. homer_jay

homer_jay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
  3. madprofessor

madprofessor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: