1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiding cables (again)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by steve-j, Jul 8, 2004.

1. steve-j

steve-j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to bring this old subject up again but...

I have an old house with brick built walls. I want to bury all the cabling to my plasma in the wall but I can't seem to find any conduit or trunking big enough to accomodate a scart lead. B&Q have some that is 50mm wide by 25mm deep (will have slightly smaller internal dimensions) but a decent quality SCART plug is slightly bigger than this. What have other poeple used to run cables in? (And where can I get it!) Or has everyone else got modern houses with handy hollow plasterboard walls!

-Steve

2. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    is it possible to cut a slit down the pipe so it can be prised apart and force the cable in through that rather than try and get the ends through?

3. Andywt

Andywt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And possibly buy the flat scart leads?

4. steve-j

steve-j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    noidea: Cutting the trunking isn't an option as I want to be able to get the cable out at some stage (and possibly put other cables in, sometime in the future). I don't really want to permenantly bury expensive cables in the wall!

Andywt: The scart lead I have *is* actually flat. It's the connector on the end that is the problem.

The trunking I can find is 50 x 25. I think I need something 60 x 30, which isn't that much bigger.

-Steve

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The only solution is to cut the connector of and solder a new on onto it. Or buy some video-cable and two connectors and make it a DYI job.
    Putting a big trunk just because the connector is that big doesn't make sense if the cable then only occupies a fraction of the space.

Scart is evil!

6. steve-j

steve-j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scart is indeed evil! Unfortunatley I think we have to live with it for a bit longer yet.

Cutting the end off and reattaching it defeats the point of buying decent quality cables. Plus soldering a Scart lead is pretty tricky (I'm no soldering expert and it look quite some time and got quite messy the last time I tried it) Also there will be other cables running in this trunking so the size won't be wasted just for the connector on the end.

-Steve

7. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about plastic down pipes used for gutters. Not sure about the size that they come in, but with a right angled connector at the top and bottom this should leave a neat entry and exit point in the wall and hopefully plent of room to run the cables in.

8. Northmoorblue

Northmoorblue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    steve-j

I had the same problem, and found the 50mm diameter pipe to be ok with the scart sockets I was using (the original sky type)

When measuring the widest part or the scart it was about 60mm. I bought a piece of the pipe and when I actually tried to see if the scart would fit it did.

It seemed the angle at which the scart pulls (or pushes, can't remember which way was easier) through the pipe meant it wasn't actually the widest part of the scart that mattered.

I have now buried the pipe in the wall and it is now plastered over. Proof indeed.

Hope this helps and makes sense

Northmoorblue

9. drgoni

drgoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Had a similar issue but I've taken the plunge and chased the wall and installed 20mm dia plastic conduit with plastic tee and metal boxes... I then slit the conduit and boxes with an angle grinder to allow for inserting the cable. I'm going to go for the Pioneer 434 as it has one (dual) cable linking the screen to a multimedia box and run this cable in the conduit and then plaster it all over... I know this is a permanent solution and doesn't offer any future flexibility but to be honest, options were limited and I want to have everything hidden...

Derry

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Maybe you have a friend who can help you with the soldering? That way you could buy a quality lead and some nice connectors to make a decent cable for less $$$.

OIC. :)

11. steve-j

steve-j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using plastic drainpipe is pretty much the conclusion I've come to. I'd prefer not to use it as digging a hole in a wall 50mm deep to accomodate the pipe is quite a task. Not to mention the fact that I have already cut loads of other smaller channels in the walls for speakers, electrics etc. and I fear for the structural integrity of my house if I cut a channel that deep!

However it doesn't look like I have much choice (although I can get someone who is handy with a soldering iron, I'm still not keen on the idea!).

Thanks to everyone for their advice and suggestions.

-Steve

12. mralsal

mralsal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi steve-j

Being in the plumbing trade I have found 68mm black rainwater down pipe with a 90 degree elbow top and bottom does the job perfectly. Its big enough for scarts or any other cables you may wish to use in the future.