1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiding a PC-Ultra

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by alexs2, Mar 2, 2005.

1. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Thanks to all of you here who already have SVS subs,I've finally got round to buying one,and the PC-Ultra arrived yesterday.

It's not been properly setup yet,other than level matching etc and a bit of fiddling with the PEQ,but what an improvement over it's predecessor.
    As someone who's had a decent set of full range(Linn Keltiks)speakers previously,finally we've got back to the bass depth and control we had previously,but without any of the room matching problems.

It actually got everyone's feet tapping,and not one soggy note around......more when it's fully done.

The title of thread refers to the fact that although it's in the lounge,working,and better than any previous sub we've had in there,my wife hasn't found it yet(yes....it surprised me as well!)....she will this morning when she goes behind the ESLs to open the lounge curtains....so there's how to hide a 1 cubic metre cylinder in your lounge....behind a set of old Quads.

Also a word of thanks to Ron and Erik at SVS for their advice,and their superb service....from order to delivery it took under 7 days....quite amazing.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    After a while when it's loosened up a bit the smile will get even broader but I'm glad you're pleased

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Thanks Ian....it was your advice and that of others here that made me do it.....now I have someone to blame when my wife eventually finds the thing.... :rotfl:

Seriously though,it's already superb,both in value and overall terms,and if it gets better....excellent!

4. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  5. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,835
    Having owned one alex, I can say hand on heart that given plenty of run-in time, it certainly does get better :) Enjoy

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Got my PC Ultra last August. Flippin' awsome, and like others have said it gets even better after the driver has been run in a bit.

I still can't get over how it manages to deal with acoustic bass and movie explosions with equally devasting accuracy, power and control.

I've spent somewhere in the region of £20,000 over the years on my AV set up (yes, I'm nuts... but much more sensible these days), and the £800 spent on the SVS PC Ultra has been the best investment of the lot.

Try the Robbie Williams album "Swing when you're winning", and listen to the bass player in the band. If you close your eyes, you'd swear the guy was playing it right infront of you. No other subwoofer I've ever listened to comes close!.... and then there's Finding Nemo, Master & Commander etc to look forward to.

Welcome to the club! :thumbsup:

7. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not forgetting the plane collision in Fight Club.... that just downright scared me on my CS-Ultra :eek:

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hi Jules....I'd agree with all of that so far....I've also spent way too much over the years,and had a pair of triamped active Linn Keltiks prior to going down the Av route,and what I really wanted was something that would at least come close to the bass extension of the Keltiks,but with the ability to notch out the room mode that interacted so badly with the Keltiks,and work with the rest of the system as well.

i've only had the sub for a few days,and would say,like you,that the sub has been one of the best investments so far.....it's going to be setup for the 300Bs and Quad ESLs this weekend,so I'll see how it does there,but the speed,control and extension on both film and music so far is amazing both at the price level,and well above too,having listened to several from different companies before buying this one.

I'm not generally given to jumping on the bandwagon for any product,unless it really does work....this one certainly does what it says on the box.

P.S....my wife still hasn't made any comment about it....not sure if she still hasn't found it!

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    She probably thinks its some form of room ornament :) Check to make sure she hasn't placed anything delicate on top of it for decor :).

Our walls are a dark chocolate brown, and the PC Ultra hides itself quite well with that colour wall, so much so, that when visitors come round, they don't even notice it until it is pointed out to them.

The PC Ultra is a fantastic sub, easily one of (along with my Quads and SR7500) the best purchases I've made so far.

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    "Our walls are a dark chocolate brown, and the PC Ultra hides itself quite well with that colour wall, so much so, that when visitors come round, they don't even notice it until it is pointed out to them."

Would that be with a torch or do you just offer miners lamps to visitors?

This reminds me of painting my bedroom matt back when I was a teenager.

It was difficult to read even standing at the window in the sunshine.

With the single red light bulb I couldn't see my hand in front of my face after dark. :rolleyes:

Nimby :clown:

11. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    :)

It's dark, but not that dark, with the curtains open there is lots of light in the room :)

It's not as bad as it sounds, and makes a change from the boring cream or off white :). We have copper effect coloured ceiling too, which looks very nice, the room isn't dark at all :), and with the spotlights dimmed at night time, it gives a very cinematic feel :D

The PCU is in the corner, so that also helps with hiding it :D Have a look in my signature, there is a link there to my setup :) (although the flash does make the wall look brighter than it is).