1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiding 2 large black tubes

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Infinity, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Infinity

Infinity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have two PC ultras in my lounge. Have already bought material to create socks for them and help them blend into the wall colour.

Have had another idea though.

I would like to move my sofa back against the wall, and the two 16 inch tubes are getting in the way.
    If I move them to the front of the room they will be much more visible,
    however if I made a custom box to house the two subs, horizontally, bottom to bottom against the front wall I could neatly hide both subs.
    Allowing for adequate air flow etc can anyone see any more problems with this idea not working.

Dont want to experiment if someone has already done this, knows it works, and has any information to pass on.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    They work just as well on their sides. Though I can't see the point of an enclosing box.

BTW: I think you have just given us a clue why your subs aren't satisfying.(another thread)

They may be cancelling with your main speakers if they are presently behind your listening position.

Moving them to the front can't hurt as the mains will then reinforce the bass.

Nimby

3. Infinity

Infinity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply Nimby.
    enclosing box is only there to make it look like a piece of built in furniture, not really meant as an enclosure, just top, front and sides, ported to suit.
    I also have not had a chance to work out why the marchand box dont wanna play, will be sorting that out with SVS during the coming weeks as well. After I can get them in their final resting place I will calibrate them for the room.

Hoping that one they are placed bottom to bottom they will reinforce one another.

Many thanks.

4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Discuss enclosing in a box with SVS. You can't simply say you are going to port the box. It might seriously alter the critical reflex tuning.
    Get it wrong and it's not just an iffy response. It's bye-bye to two rather nice Ultra drivers.

Talk to SVS first if you intend to enclose either end of your cylinders.
    The precise tuning vitally affects the ability of the driver to withstand subsonics. Your use of a pro amp may not offer sufficient subsonic protection like the Bash PC amp probably does as standard.

If nothing else SVS may be able to recommend the best orientation. Foot to foot. Or head to head. And a suitable spacing between them.

Nimby

5. Infinity

Infinity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nimby.
    I will shoot them an email after work today. :)