1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HiDef question for those that have upgraded their PJ from 848 x 484 to 1280 x 720?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rogeralpine, Sep 20, 2004.

1. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently I’m viewing HiDef material on an AE100 and although impressive, I can’t help but wonder whether a 1280 x 720 machine will take the viewing experience to another level and as such whether it is a worthwhile upgrade?

So my question is aimed at those that have performed such an upgrade and if so, how would you rate the improvements seen in the quality of the image for HiDef material? I know such improvements are on the whole very subjective, but the logistics for me to actually be able to carry out such a comparison are basically non-existent. For DVD viewing, the AE100 suffices for the time being – especially with 1:1 pixel mapping - and the upgrade bug hasn’t completely bitten me yet – although I’m getting close!

I’d be happy to buy a new machine for the interim period until we see a major improvement in piccy quality with the new PJ’s that are being announced. Obviously a full HiDef panel machine is what we’re all aiming for and as such anything purchased now is really only for the interim period until the cost come down!

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    Absolutely worthwhile upgrade , something like the Panny AE700 will be a night and day difference compared to your AE100. Trust me , a 1280x720 panel with good hidef material looks absolutely superb!

Cheers,
    Andy

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    You could wait to see what the EU ratifies as the broadcast standard for HD over here. If its 720p, then you are sorted and can splash out on a nice AE700, safe in the knowledge that you are getting the full image quality. But if they support 1080i, you might want to save that extra bit of money now, and buy an older 720p projector (AE500/Z2) and save up for a 1080 line projector in a year or two.

4. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Andy - t'was the sort of response I was hoping for - and the only confirmation I've had to date about a direct comparison. Good news for the eyes then, bad news for the wallet!!

I'm well over due an upgrade - two and a half years with the AE100 is damn good going considering how quickly the technology is advancing. Just need to convert her indoors this is a good move!!

5. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah Richard, that's a viable route. Buy a cheapish AE500 or equivalent and upgrade "properly" when things settle down!!

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    of course, you know the AE500/700 look very similar to the 100, and fit the same mounting holes if you have it mounted.... So you could switch them while the missus is out at bingo or whatever - I'm certain mine would never notice :)

7. ronin a8

ronin a8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst I agree with richard plumb about the mrs thing I upgraded my hifi from bw cdm9nt to wilson benesch chimeras she never registered it when I upgraged my wadia cd player to an identical appearance model she notices!!! because the display changed! what the $£&* ? What is about women. go for it mate, unless that is you have a combined bank in which case dont bother!

8. ronin a8

ronin a8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah and don't buy LCD buy DLP, try an Infocus SP7205, they are really really really very good for the money!

9. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do prefer DLP but I will defo hold out to get a look and see what all the fuss about the AE700 is.

Although the Mrs is not savvy on the tech front, she has a keen eye for spotting subtle changes - think I'll come clean on this one!