1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HiDef Monitor 'holy grail'

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Lone Granger, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Lone Granger

Lone Granger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    With CES upon us, I think now is a good time to start a resource thread on the best technologies / products available for use in the UK this year.

I am hoping for informed comment from experts who have visited the Show as to their recommendations for the best performance / £ in flat panel monitors and emerging Lcos type products likely to be available this year.

Do we yet have a product knocking on the door with better than HiDef capability?! - Presumably even HiDef can be upscaled and 8Mpix camera images would be better displayed.

I am happy to wait all year if something new and exciting is likely to move the goal poasts significantly - if not, then is there anything anyone would recommend better than latest hires Pani or Pioneer, having sifted through the new product releases at CES?

Yours, hungry for seriously high res large format images (50"+)

Lone Granger

2. Lone Granger

Lone Granger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    A quick novice question

I understand HiDef principally comes in 2 flavours (excl refresh rate), namely:

720p and 1080i

To me (a novice!) thi begs the question - can 1080i be enhanced further by de-interlacing?

If so, what new Plasmas and Scalers are up to the job and would I be right in thinking that the picture improvement would be in line wit the difference between de-interlacing a DVD output and not?

A lot of ifs and buts - wouldnt the result be some level of perfection?

3. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes it would, 1080p would look very nice indeed, and I beleive that films like Star Wars Ep2 are filmed in this format.

Its very bandwidth intensive though and not generaly thought to be worthwhile (it is though!)

4. CKNA

CKNA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Only film based material would look good at 1080p as it can be deinterlaced nicely. Video material shot interlaced would look ugly as it is impossible to deiterlace properly. It is because each field is slightly different and combining those creates all kinds of artifacts.

5. Lone Granger

Lone Granger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks for the comments so far guys

any more input?