1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HiDef 720 or 1080i

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lone Granger, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Lone Granger

Lone Granger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    HiDef 720 or 1080i
    A quick novice question

I understand HiDef principally comes in 2 flavours (excl refresh rate), namely:

720p and 1080i

To me (a novice!) thi begs the question - can 1080i be enhanced further by de-interlacing?

If so, what new Plasmas and Scalers are up to the job and would I be right in thinking that the picture improvement would be in line wit the difference between de-interlacing a DVD output and not?

A lot of ifs and buts - wouldnt the result be some level of perfection?

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you are correct. 1080i can be deinterlaced. In my processors case we have clients who are doing 1080i DTheatre to 1080p out via the Faroudja deinterlacer.

Regards Neil.

3. Lone Granger

Lone Granger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks for response

am I right in assuming that DVHS and Euro 1080 broadcast would be interlaced and that the de-interlacing we are discussing would make yet another quantum leap in picture quality? _ If so it must be as good as you could reasonably want on a screen up to 12 ft

I shall want to use a Plasma - is there one out or about to be released that can cope with this level of input? - Is the difference worth it? - Do you know anyone running a plasma at this level?

thanks

David