Hide Skybox - Possible?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Sarah_UK, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Sarah_UK

Sarah_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all.

Please can you help me with a dilema regarding
    placing a SKY box away from the TV?

Problem:

I am building a new house, all open plan.............
    I didn't want ANY Hi-FI equipment 'on view'......
    I was going to put it all in a Utility room away from
    the living areas.........

I wanted to 'hide' my SKY box away from the TV in this
    utility room. The distance of the Sky Box will be 20m (Max)
    from the TV (Either Plasma or CRT).

I've only just realised, that this is probably impossible
    due to the fact that you can't get a SCART lead that
    long! So naturally there is no way of getting a picture
    from the Sky Box to the TV. If you COULD (I can't find any) get a 15/20M SCART lead, other than cost, would the picture quality be
    poor?

Secondly (Please dont laugh) I then realised I have nothing
    to point my Sky Remote at, if there is no digibox in the room!
    E.g how would I change channel?

Is there a potential way to do this via some fancy A/V setup
    that could use an alternative 'lead' (S-VIDEO?)to the TV other than SCART that wouldn't degrade picture quality?

Do A/V Home Cinema AMPS somehow support a 'remote' IR
    function so I could 'ZAP' the Sky Box from a long distance?

Or is my 'idea' a little too far fetched?

Many thanks for any help anyway, ohh dear!

Sarah.

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Sarah

What you are trying to achieve is perfectly practical and possible. We assist customers all of the time that want to achieve this, they too want to remove AV 'clutter' from their living space for aesthetic and security reasons.

Basically, you have already identified the main problems, and those are that you need to transmit the picture over a distance, and also that you need to get the remote control signal back to the digibox.

There are a number of different solutions depending on how important the picture quality is to you (if for example you are displaying in to a plasma screen you will need to get the best possible quality signal out of sky, whereas if it is a 17" LCD screen then it is less important)

Other considerations are do you have any other equipment that you want to control (e.g. AV amplifiers), are you able to hide the cabling at this stage or has that stage of the build been completed?

If you want a quick, easy solution then you can get wireless systems for around £100 that will do what you need, but the picture is only really good enough for small screens.

If you want better quality, then you need a wired system and the cost then starts to go up from that point.

If you post some more info we will be glad to help.

regards

3. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Why don't you just use the TV-Eye on RF 2 that sky sell.

It would only give you a normal RF connection but it would operate the remote control.

The other alternative is a tv-sender and receiver that can do the same thing for about 50 quid.

4. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well, that will work, but it the picture and sound that you get from an RF connection is the lowest quality, and of course you are having to run cable.

Therefore, if you are able to run cable (and hide it if that is important to you) then it is better to use a better quality connection if possible, which as I mentioned earlier is all dependent on budget, how important the quality has to be etc.

Full marks for spotting the cheapest solution though!

5. Sarah_UK

Sarah_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies :)

I'll try and draw a little diagram...

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sarah all you need is a link eye on the RF 2 socket and then a way of geetting the siganl out from the box (Sky+ has S-video) this can sent wired over 20m quite easily for a screen only system in room an fully distributed media a media cupboard ie under the stairs works well have done this fopr a number of clients. Look at Channel+ for video distribution S-video is the best quality over long distances and can be run over S-video.
    on another note are you interested in a multiroom audio, discrete in ceiling speaker all remote controlled or sexy keypads on the wall. so you dont need to see any black boxes but get hi quality sound all round the house living areas bedrooms ensuites etc etc.

7. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You could consider having the sky receiver installed in your loft.

I have 2x Tivos, which I didn't want on display in the lounge. I made a shelf which is situated about 2' above the loft floor that they sit on. Installed a power point connected to the lighting circuit (wiring already there) and a telephone point (wiring already there). 2x seperate 10m scart cables take the RGB signal/stereo direct to the lounge tv. The cables run straight down the outside brickwork. The Tivo's are also connected via RF to my aerial distribution amp, so I can view on other tvs around the house.

Control of the equipment is done via 'one for all' remote extender. I have an IR transmitter for each tv and the IR receiver sits on top of the Tivos, passing on the remote commands.

Although I don't currently have Sky, I have the dish on the wall and the cable comes straight through into the loft to where I would have the receiver.

The only difficult part of the installation was removing and replacing the scart plug on each cable in order to feed through the wall. Cables were £39.99 each, good quality and fully wired for RGB, etc. Pic quality is superb.