1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hidden TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by richjthorpe, Feb 15, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

Has anyone got any ideas on how you'd be able to hide an LCD when it isn't being used ?

We have our LCD mouted on the wall 6 inches above the back of sofa. It's a great position from the other sofa (2 Sofas face each other) but with little nephews who love to jump around on the sofas and my own daughter (Only 4 months at the moment but I'm sure she'd find it exciting running her finger on the screen....."Look at this mummy", "Yes, that's very nice, but stop now because your father's having a heart attack") growing up quickly, I think I should act now while we are decorating the front room.

I will be knocking a hole in the wall so that the tv will be flush with the wall when I've done with it. Anyone seen or done something that works ?

Thanks all,

Richie.

2. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It will look like those awful mdf radiator covers if you try to cover it.

I suppose you could have some red velour curtains, and it could be like the start of an old style cinema film as the curtains open up to a fanfare for the evenings viewing :D

I would get your relatives to control their kids, and if you teach your girl not to touch she will soon learn. We had to persevere with ours but it was worth it

3. AgentPingu

AgentPingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sell your daughter

Job done :smashin:

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Already promised her to an Arab Sheik's son when she is 18 under the promise that we would look after her till then. We're getting 1000 gold pieces, 50 sheep and 5 camels for her. Do you think that's a good deal ?!

:D

Richie.

5. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Wasn't quite prepared to hang a radiator cover on the wall, was really looking at covering it with a picture maybe.

Anyway, the wife has decided that hanging a picture over it would look silly because it be too low.

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Why don't you get Philips 9986 and put it in front. In that way, when the Philips gets damaged you wont have to worry since your beautiful Sharp will still be in pristine condition. Or did your wife want to cover it with something nice looking :rotfl:

7. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HOLD on a min before you get your hammer out and start knocking down walls!!!
    If you want to sink the panel into the wall the easiest way depending on how big the wall is?. Is to bring the wall out I,E. build a false wall obviously you will need plaster board,wood,etc. but it means that you can sink the panel into the recess and drop your cables down to the hidden plug socket if you get your measurements right and the screen is set slightly into the recess rather than totaly flush you will be able to place a small picture hook above the screen on which you can hang your picture or mirror. ok it may cost a bit extra but its more secure,everything is away from prying eyes and sticky fingers, and when you move you dont have to sell your house with a big gaping hole in the wall also take a look at the wall your about to knock into. if its a supporting wall you might just weaken it a little. again doing it this way may only benefit you if the wall is of average size obviously if its 20 meters long you probably wont go with this idea. hope it helps tho .

8. pacman

pacman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Only problem here is you'll never bother to move the Philips 9986 because it has such an excellent picture!!! :thumbsup:

Richjthorpe,

I have the same concerns as you, although my screen is not above a sofa (it's only a Philips 9986 after all - eh ian64). I considered some sort of cover and the only thing I can suggest is to have a removable piece of clear perspex in front of the screen

Time to check up on the house insurance policy me thinks.

Good luck and let us know how you solve the problem.

Regards,
    Peter.

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I wasn't suggesting it would be the right way up. If anyone asked, he could could explain it was a rare sdilliyd model :)

10. AgentPingu

AgentPingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a bargain to me!!

Best send her off to boarding school in the meantime :devil: :)

11. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah, thought of this idea, but we have 2 pretty large sofas in a small lounge so taking another 6 inches out of the room wouldn't be the best idea.

The wall is next to the stairs and is only supporting a wall above in the bedroom, I'm sure the stairs would be able to take the weight. It's not like it's external wall or anything. Them concrete lintels from Jewsons are so over rated anyway, a couple of pieces of 2x2 should be ok to stop the loose bricks from falling while I'm knocking the rest of the hole out.

Richie.

12. inventor

inventor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possibly a bit naff, but a small roller blind might be mounted above the TV and pulled down to cover it. It could be fairly discrete or indeed could bear an amage and be an artwork in its own right when the Tvs not on.

13. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wot about placing a small ledge underneath it just enough to keep the hands away from the screen? for added protection put razor blades on the edge of it the kids will soon learn that it hurts if the touch it. also my mate has acage in his living room where the dog sleeps you never know the kids might like one as a den to play in you could try that.
    but the best one is tell your missus you shagged her sister/mum/best mate even all 3 she,ll then leave you and take the kids with her problemo solved. easy peasy

14. AgentPingu

AgentPingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are nothing short of genius

15. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anything to help out a fellow forum member :thumbsup:

16. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have actually thought of this one, there is a company that makes a frame that has a motorised rollor blind in it with a piece of artwork of your choice. What you do then is bolt the frame to the wall and put the LCD/Plasma inside it.

I was thinking of putting my woodwork skills to use and make something like this but the wife said the picture would be too low and wouldn't look nice. Women !

17. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Funny thing is, she has got a sister and obviously a mum, but her best mate is a guy who is gay. Out of the three I actually think her best mate would say yes. He's a bit of a floozy.

:D

18. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok well
    1, he may not be gay . he could be straight and its the only way he will ever get to see your missus in her knickers. beat him up she will leave you hey presto house to yourself do what you want.

2,she might be tellin you he is gay but really havin an affair accuse her of this, send her packin hey presto house to yourself do what you want.

3 none of the above will work if you really love the missus and the kids possibly better idea to do as she says coz she knows best. thats what my missus tells me you cant beat running round after a 9mnth old who,s into everything and teething and stinks and keeps pressing the esc button and the next ones due in may :suicide: id go for a mirror they tend to look ok low

19. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    1. No, deffinately gay. It's his boyfriend who is a little bit bi.

2. She wouldn't dare lie to me.

3. Nurofen ?

20. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok ive given this one some serious thought, hope you like the idea. sink tv in buy 5mm,just enough to stop any cover touching the screen. grab a piece of bolser wood (the type they make model planes with) cut it to fit slightly over the screen it will stick out slightly depending on thickness so lets say 3mm (not much) cover it with the same decor as the wall. then plastic gromets a bit like the ones you get on your speak covers so its a gromet and a plug . attach the plug bits to the corners of your new frame drill 4 holes place gromets in holes and secure. the frame can now be placed over the screen clipped into the holes. it will fit perfectly and will proberbly not even be noticable apart from a small shading where it protrudes slightly. you get the idea .

21. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Interesting idea, I shall run it past the missus !

22. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did she go for it then ?

23. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
  24. paulrwebster

paulrwebster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I wouldn't worry too much about the kids. Once you have knocked a big hole in the supporting wall and the roof has collapsed, the tv will be smashed to bits in any case, maybe the kids as well. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .

25. Dogboats

Dogboats
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would have thought that the solution is obvious.....

...mount it on the ceiling so that you can watch it lying down from BOTH sofas! It'll be safe from the kids too - as long as they don't get hold of a trampoline from anywhere. :)

26. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    On one of those DIY progs a couple of years back the guy with the hair very cleverly mounted one in the centre of a shelving system but you couldn't see it as it had a painting/photo in front of it. The frame was suspended by wires and at the touch of a button moved up and out of the way of the screen.

Sounds a bit naff bit it did look very good.