1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hidden speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Ray, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

I'm still in the planning stage for my HC (based on building a room within my double garage) and was thinking how to hide the speakers. I prefer a very clean llok to the room and the less visible kit the better. Has anyone got a good way to hide the front speakers without detracting from the audio performance ? What sort of material could they go behind ? HAs anyone inthe DIY forum already done this ?

Cheers

Ray

2. jsap

jsap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    wat about using in-ceiling speakers and the rears, then setting the fronts into the wall, possibly behind a fabric screen below your display.

3. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Two most obvious options would be have your fronts hidden in a wall unit that has speaker cloth grills over the doors and ceiling speakers at the back or you could use speakers that look like pictures artcoustic for example or whalfdale loud pannel. As for the sub you can get away hiding it out the way. To my mind there will alwys be a degree of compromise with either of these options.

4. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I too, don't like lots of visible gear and use Wharfdale Loudpanels for the hifi - these can be used for HC too

For the HC I have some small (4") round pod speakers like these Anthony Gallo speakers. The ones I have are made by Haus and I paid less than £100 for them a few years ago.

No big speaker boxes and excellent sound from either

In a typical home envirnonment, I don't think you can successfully hide speakes that are not meant to be hidden

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    If you build commercial speakers into anything you will probably ruin their performance. Most speakers like a bit of space round them. Though a few are designed to go against a wall.

I'd consider a thin cloth curtain across the front of the room. Provided it isn't back-lit the speakers won't be visible and it shouldn't do much harm acoustically.

I would also investigate thin cloth speaker grills and paint (or cloth covers) for the boxes to precisely match the colour of your intended decor. Black boxes and grills only make invisible speakers against a black wall. But most flat grills are simple to reproduce in alternative cloths and colours.

All things are a compromise. Just be careful you don't compromise yourself out of a decent sound system. Small is not necessarily beautiful when it comes to speakers. :blush:

Regards
    Nimby

6. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Build a false sparse stud wall across the whole room 1m front of the back wall, paint it black, cover it with black speaker grille cloth, place speakers behind it, hang the screen on the front, hang curtains,pelmet etc, on it and add suitable lighting and it'll look just like the Odeon.

You could also cover the real wall with acoutic treament as required, and this would also be concealed by the false wall. You could put a door in one end of the flase wall for access.

7. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Genuine grill cloth was 'orribly expensive last time I looked at the usual suppliers. :blush:

Thin nylon (or something similar) from a cloth shop or the local market would be a lot cheaper. It doesn't even have to be black. Lighter colours may be more opaque to the eye. Net curtains are usually white and they aren't exactly see-through. Though white curtains would might be a bit iffy in a Home Theatre. Not because it would look like a wedding chapel. But because screen contrast is better with darker colours

The Odeons I remember had their heavy velvet curtains hanging in gentle folds. Not stretched tight like a drum. I think two thin cloth 'blinds' hanging in front of normal speakers would be quite dramatic and hide the speakers from view as well as a full "wall of cloth". :)

A set of overwide curtains hanging in natural folds on a ceiling rail would be easier to swish back to check the speakers. The folds would tend to hide what is behind. A flat wall of fabric would probably be more visually transparent and might look cheap.

Just buy the smallest length of cloth they will sell you off the roll and take it home to check it for acoustic and visual transparency in front of some real speakers, in your own HT, before investing heavily in great lengths of cloth. :)

Personally I'd be looking at wall brackets and wall-mounting speakers. But do a Google image search for <home theater> if you want some more ideas.

Regards
    Nimby

8. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    What a great forum ! As usual you get tons of good replies. Thanks guys.

I haven't decided on the speakers yet so still have the floorstanders vs sats decision to make. This will obviously affect the solution for hiding them. I don't think I have the luxury (space wise) to build a false wall but could accommodate some blinds (which I hadn't thought of) or some curtains (though these may cut out too much sound).

Perhaps I should just go for the Yamaha YSP-1 and solve the problem in one fell swoop! :)

Cheers

Ray