Hidden Projector Screen added to Front Room

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by jasmart, May 1, 2019.

1. jasmart

jasmart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    A few pics here to show what I've done to add a discrete projector and screen, to our living room. Not yet able to progress to a dedicated home cinema room so this will have to do for now. It works well for Saturday movie nights and the odd PS4 gaming session.

I'll post up a few pics and list the kit being used. I'm no DIY'er so you may see some rough edges! I work in computing so I'm good for gadgets, kit and setting it all up, I call on the father-in-law for the building work.

IMG_8888.jpg
    TV is a Sony Android 4K 55", KD-55X8509C

2. jasmart

jasmart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Many years ago, the front room started like this

intrp4.jpg 2rffozs.jpg

3. jasmart

jasmart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I wanted to add a projector and screen that wouldn't take over the front room. I purchased the following from Richer Sounds.
    Sapphire Electric Projector Screen, 106" SEWS240RWSF, giving a viewable area of H1319mm L2346mm
    Optoma HD143X 3D DLP 1080P Projector

I have a Sony STR-DN860 AV amp, so to switch the existing inputs (Sky Q, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch) from being sent to the TV, to instead be output to the projector I purchased an HDMI bi-directional 2 way splitter from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079FLNWJY/?coliid=I126TZCBFW9DYN&colid=L8TXOXJ1LIID&psc=0.

Then it occurred to me that Plex, our movie library and the Netflix viewing come from the Sony Android smart TV. Obviously you can't get that to output to the projector. I therefore purchased an Amazon 4K Firestick, to go into one of the spare AV Amp inputs.

4. jasmart

jasmart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    First shot of the Sapphire screen up and mounted. Power cabling fed up into the attic, 5 metre HDMI cable routed through the (unused) chimney cavity, across the ceiling and back down to where the projector will be mounted on the opposite wall, on a floating shelf.

IMG_8892.PNG

So this is where the first snag was noticed. I didn't want a ceiling mount for the projector hence the floating shelf. But, mounting the projector on the shelf which has been fitted half way up the wall, has caused the projected image to sit incorrectly. The bottom of the image is towards to the top of the wall and spans up and across the ceiling! To remedy that I've had to tilt the projector at an angle, adjusting the keystone to accommodate.

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_6464.jpg

5. jasmart

jasmart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Then it's on to hiding the screen behind a pelmet, well carrying bits and holding the wood for the father-in-law whilst he does most of it anyway! We've used 9mm MDF, secured to the wall with some simple battens.

IMG_4968_1.jpg IMG_6351_1a.jpg IMG_0546_2 copy.jpg

Don't forget the extended IR receiver so that you can still control it when boxed in.

IMG_8564_3.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  6. jasmart

jasmart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    And finished. One button press of the Nevo C2 remote control, starts the macro to bring down the screen, turn on the projector, switch the AV to Video for the Firestick. Shots were taken in the daylight on an iPhone so screen doesn't look as good as it does in reality. Not a showcase for sure, but I'm very pleased with results in the end.

end.jpg end1.jpg end2.jpg

7. Bacus

Bacus
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,929
    @jasmart

Looks great :smashin:

Its a nice simple set up to achieve the desired effect you wanted. I bet its great for gaming on the big screen.
    Many years ago I had an electric screen, about 8ft wide from memory with an Optoma HD70 projector and that was all I had for viewing, no TV set !!
    I went for the minimalist look so when the screen was powered off and raised its self up into the ceiling I had the clean open plan bachelor/party pad :thumbsup::p:blush::love:
    Then I met my better half and soon the kids were popping out.................and the gadgets slowly disappeared :suicide:
    But years later I'm slowly getting gadgets back and hiding them well :love:
    I'll get another screen eventually but for now my 75" TV will have to do...........watch this space.

Anyway you must be well happy with what you have accomplished, all you need to do now is sit back and enjoy it, and then upgradeitus will set in :thumbsup:

8. jasmart

jasmart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    thanks. :thumbsup: Your old set up sounds good. I'm probably at that same point where everything fitted needs to be wife friendly and discrete now. I hear you with the upgrades, I already had to swap out my speakers for a set of Tannoy's a few months back and that TV was one of the earlier 4Ks, the HDR was a firmware add-on so not great which has lead to me keep looking at the new models.

9. Rocketrazor

Rocketrazor
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This looks great mate, its exactly the sort of thing I'm trying to get the better half to agree to at the moment and I hope when I show her this and how it can be done she will finally give me the green light to go for it. One question, I'm interested in how you find the drop down with no tab tension? It's not practical for me to have a fixed screen in the lounge and the decision of tab/not tab tensioned is expensive, but I see your screen is 106" which would be bigger than mine (92" or 96" due to distance)

Cheers

Rocket

10. jasmart

jasmart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    @Rocketrazor thanks. The screen is perfectly flat when down. The best way to describe it is the bottom is slightly weighted and quite taught. Their blurb "The triple laminated glassfibre surface is designed to lay flat with no curls extending into the viewing area. The screen fabric has a black backing, so you can place the screen in front of a window and no light will come though the projector screen fabric." I installed one of these Sapphire screens in a boardroom where I work and it's been rock solid for the last 7 or 8 years. The reviews are good on Richer Sounds - Sapphire SEWS240RWSF-ATR