Hidden Channels - NEWSLOOP

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Jellyroll, Dec 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Jellyroll

Jellyroll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The list of "hidden" channels on my FoxSat HDR includes:

• OceanINTERACT
    • Freesat 1 to 5
    • Freesat2 (distinct from Freesat 2)
    • ETV-STREAM-1 to 5
    • NEWSLOOP
    Some of them appear to be "containers" for on-demand and red-button channels such as those around 900, but I'm particularly fascinated by NEWSLOOP, which is a 6-up multi-screen display with multiple audio streams, featuring new headlines, one in-depth new story, Odd Box, entertainment news, an in-depth sports story, and weather. OceanINTERACT is similar, but 4-up.

Can anyone tell me how these multi-screen channels are intended to be accessed normally?

2. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,065
    red button usually or text button

if you like the 6 screen - you'll love motorised satellite & the Foxsat can do that too.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  3. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    What TP are these on, and how does motorised come into it?

4. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,065
    11954v 27500 - you've got them - the 6 screen news feed from the beeb - I take it he's gone into non freesat mode & found the extra channels - thus the reference to the much nicer hidden channels using motorised...

btw. I searched 28e for free channels on kingofsat & it came up with 525... :D

5. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    Yes I have got them, and use them, now I know what they are.:thumbsup:
    And yes, the list of channels on 28E goes on for ever, though 13 can't be far behind.

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    Yes I have got them, and use them, just didn't realise they're what OP was referring to.:thumbsup:
    And yes, the list of channels on 28E goes on for ever, though 13 can't be far behind.

7. Jellyroll

Jellyroll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the responses.

Back to the original question. Can anyone tell me how these two multi-screen channels are intended to be accessed normally?

They are hidden Freesat channels, not non-Freesat ones, and I was rather hoping someone might know from where I have to press "Red" or "Text" to access them. The Sport multi-screen, for instance, is obviously accessed from the Red button on BBC1, BBC2 etc., and the video of that appears to live normally on channels ETV-STREAM-1, -2 and -5, hidden channels 1987, 1988 and 1991, so it's not actually multi-screen. ETV-STREAM-4 is CBBC Extra, again accessed by the Red button from BBCx, and again not multi-screen.

I'm just intrigued to understand how the NEWSLOOP multi-screen channel I unhid is intended to be accessed normally. It's apparently not only hidden, but without an obvious access mechanism.

8. nowster

nowster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    They're used by the red button services on the Sky platform.

9. Jellyroll

Jellyroll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's a FreeSat channel, not a FreeSat from Sky channel.

10. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    It's not a specifically Freesat channel - any satellite receiver can receive it.
    It's nothing to do with FreeSatFromSky but no-one said it was,

11. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,330
    They are not freesat channels - they are interactive data streams accessed by the red button on both freesat and Sky boxes using the receivers interactive software (MHEG on freesat and OpenTV on Sky boxes). Very few if any generic receivers are able to access the streams in that manner but can usually tune the data streams as separate channels in the same way as you found them in "non freesat" mode on your HDR.

The BBC interactive streams can usually be accessed from any BBC channel via the red button and the correct sequence of buttons thereafter - sometimes involving page numbers under the digital teletext system. Note also that sometimes not all of the interactive screens can be accessed from the red button on freesat boxes but can be via Sky boxes - the BBC AFAIK have not yet programmed all the interactive streams for MHEG access on freesat boxes. For instance on Sky boxes (not sure whether it works yet on freesat boxes) the Newsloop application is accessed from BBC News (and most other BBC channels), Red button, then page 1001, then use the "arrow keys" to select a screen - some time ago I did read that freesat viewers were waiting for the BBC to write the MHEG software to access that application on freesat boxes.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  12. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,729
    That's what mine do - they're set up and accessed just the same way as any channel.